First Canadian Place

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Peezie, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    was walking to Henry's camera shop yesterday to buy a filter for my GF1 and shot this...I still can't resist taking photos of where i work. haha

• Like Like x 5
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Watch out that none of those tiles falls on you. ;) I was actually eating with my team at the Japanese restaurant in the basement right when that happened. Bizarre day...

What lens did you pick up? Henry's is a dangerous store to walk into, though I prefer Vistek (if only it were closer) if I could choose.

3. I do like a good "looking up" shot.

4. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    @everythingsablur - I didnt pick up a lens but i got a b+w uv filter for my 20mm 1.7

Henrys is dangerous i could spend a few hours in there too. I bought my first dslr(xsi) and my 7d there, so i just routinely go there to buy everything unless they just dont have it. Also i always check prices and they have always price matched everyone else if i found it cheaper. Great customer service!

I have never been to vistek, i really should visit there i guess.

I was tying to locate a Tamrac Zipshot tripod for a very portable option for my gf1. They didnt have it in stock. Anyone have experience with this tripod?

@lucky penguin- thanks!

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Their location on Queen near River is fantastic. It's a streetcar ride (or drive, they have free parking) for sure. I started going there maybe a decade ago because they rented gear long before Henry's did (wait... do they?). I also go to Aden Camera if I know exactly what I want. Vistek and Henry's are great just for puttering and foolishly parting with money that I don't have. :rofl:

Really small, light, but very very flimsy. Also it only has one height, so there is no ability to adjust if you need a higher or lower vantage point. Personally, I would avoid unless you were extremely strapped on carrying space/weight and could live with all of the downsides.

Alternatives that I'm considering:
    • GorillaPod SLR-Zoom with Ballhead
    • a good monopod
    • Benro Travel Angel (there's even a version that can split apart into a monopod)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    @everythingsablur - thanks on the info. i guess i like to go to henrys to have more eye candy.lol.

one thing i never really didnt take into consideration is the non-height adjustment i lose. i did take my manfrotto 190prob with a 3 way pan tilt head last night and the gf1... although i know it worked fantastic... i just feel like bringing such a big tripod...i might as well have brought my 7d with 2 primes out with me.

I dont know maybe im just being picky. maybe im over lapping on what i should be using my dslr for and trying to do it with my gf1. Its just the gf1 is to portable to not want to use instead of my dslr.