First Canadian Place

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Peezie, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    was walking to Henry's camera shop yesterday to buy a filter for my GF1 and shot this...I still can't resist taking photos of where i work. haha

• Like Like x 5
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Watch out that none of those tiles falls on you. ;)  I was actually eating with my team at the Japanese restaurant in the basement right when that happened. Bizarre day...

What lens did you pick up? Henry's is a dangerous store to walk into, though I prefer Vistek (if only it were closer) if I could choose.

3. I do like a good "looking up" shot.

4. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    @everythingsablur - I didnt pick up a lens but i got a b+w uv filter for my 20mm 1.7

Henrys is dangerous i could spend a few hours in there too. I bought my first dslr(xsi) and my 7d there, so i just routinely go there to buy everything unless they just dont have it. Also i always check prices and they have always price matched everyone else if i found it cheaper. Great customer service!

I have never been to vistek, i really should visit there i guess.

I was tying to locate a Tamrac Zipshot tripod for a very portable option for my gf1. They didnt have it in stock. Anyone have experience with this tripod?

@lucky penguin- thanks!

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Their location on Queen near River is fantastic. It's a streetcar ride (or drive, they have free parking) for sure. I started going there maybe a decade ago because they rented gear long before Henry's did (wait... do they?). I also go to Aden Camera if I know exactly what I want. Vistek and Henry's are great just for puttering and foolishly parting with money that I don't have. :rofl:

Really small, light, but very very flimsy. Also it only has one height, so there is no ability to adjust if you need a higher or lower vantage point. Personally, I would avoid unless you were extremely strapped on carrying space/weight and could live with all of the downsides.

Alternatives that I'm considering:
    • GorillaPod SLR-Zoom with Ballhead
    • a good monopod
    • Benro Travel Angel (there's even a version that can split apart into a monopod)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    @everythingsablur - thanks on the info. i guess i like to go to henrys to have more eye candy.lol.

one thing i never really didnt take into consideration is the non-height adjustment i lose. i did take my manfrotto 190prob with a 3 way pan tilt head last night and the gf1... although i know it worked fantastic... i just feel like bringing such a big tripod...i might as well have brought my 7d with 2 primes out with me.

I dont know maybe im just being picky. maybe im over lapping on what i should be using my dslr for and trying to do it with my gf1. Its just the gf1 is to portable to not want to use instead of my dslr.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.