1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First camera, m10 or other?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by goldaxe, Jul 24, 2016.

1. goldaxe

goldaxe New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2016
    Hi,
    I got the idea of buying a MFT camera recently. I want a decent cam to take photos of the family. I have two young children, and only an iphone to capture images and video!

I purchased an Olympus omd m10 (original) from ebay for a good price. I took a couple of images, then the shutter locked closed and the camera only turned on for a few seconds before turning off again. I've uploaded a picture. I used a new panasonic 14-42II lens.
    So, Im in the process of returning the camera to the seller for a refund...

Do I purchase another omd m10? - I found one new for £270 body only here in the UK, which will have an Olympus warranty.

Or do I get another used MFT body on ebay? Something like a panasonic G6 for example?

I really want some nice photographs of the family, and occasional video. The reason I didnt go down the DSLR route, is size. I have been tempted by a d3300 and 35m prime lens, but honestly, the size of the thing may stop me taking it out at all!!!

Im not looking to spend a lot tbh, as this is my first "real camera".

Many thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. king_solom0n

king_solom0n Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2015
    If you like the handling of the EM10, why not get another one? If size is a concern, the G6 will be a little larger than the EM10, but I think it will help with the handling of the camera. Another option would be the Panasonic GX7. Not sure how much video you will be doing, but Panasonic has better video (quality, codec, bitrate, etc.) than Olympus.

Compact Camera Meter

3. goldaxe

goldaxe New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2016
    thanks for replying. I did really like the omd m10 before it stopped working. the handling wasnt an issue, although it was a lot smaller than i had imagined! I was just wondering if there were any other camera bodies i should be considering before i buy another?
    If i do get another omd m10, it will be a new one for the warranty alone. It annoyed me so much it only worked for like 10 shots. the shutter count was only 1000 as well.

4. king_solom0n

king_solom0n Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2015
    I started out with the EM10 last year and it's a great camera. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much finding another body since you like the EM10. Only reason to go with another body in my opinion is if there's something you don't like about the EM10 or if there's a feature it's missing.

5. goldaxe

goldaxe New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2016
    My initial thoughts were this is a solid little camera. For the brief moments I got to use it. The only thing I found was it didn't like to focus on fast moving things, like my 1 year old boy walking or whatever. The pictures were out of focus. That could of been me tho, not using the correct settings, although i have read the focus system is not great for sports, or kids.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Panasonic g7 is a great reasonably priced option. In body stabilization is very useful though for stills and video, so e-m10 mk2 would be another choice. I'd go e-m10 mk2 for that reason. Check out Olympus' own outlet. Sometimes a factory refurb is the Best Buy of all. I don't know if Panasonic has one.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The stuck/dead shutter is something that happens.

Focus depends on the camera, the lens and technique. Most m43 cameras have problems to lock and follow fast moving targets but before blaming the camera there are a few things to exclude. For example it's common to confuse motion blur for out of focus. Or the focus problem may be caused by keeping the button half-pressed for too long while the subjects moves in another place. Or the focus may have locked on to the wrong thing. Or pointing the focus point in a place where it is hard to "lock" focus. Or using continuous focus in the wrong way.

Anyway most m43 cameras do suffer a little with moving subjects (especially when the distance from the camera changes). Panasonic cameras with the new "DfD" autofocus system (like the G7) have a faster AF when used with Panasonic lenses. Otherwise your may look at the Sony A6000 series.

But many people get reasonable results with these cameras maybe with a little more effort then you'd need with other cameras. Shooting moving subjects is not automatic with any cameras, even with top cameras it requires a little practice to get it (and understanding depth of field, aperture, etc. helps). I have the E-M10 and I find it good enough for me (using a fixed focus box).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Shame about the shutter - I had something similar happen with the E-PM1, but it was far from gone; I'd try to find out if the shutter is repairable at a reasonable price.

Other than that, I think Klorenzo more or less nailed it as far as focusing is concerned. To add to his considerations, the AF is actually lightning quick in S-AF - so you might also try following the subject and then just depressing the shutter all the way. This does usually work for me, albeit mostly in good (enough) light:

15745603455_85537627d3_c.
    flying
    on Flickr

M.

9. goldaxe

goldaxe New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2016
    thank you for the comments.
    I must admit i only got to "play" with the camera for about 30 minutes before the shutter locked. So I didnt get to test the focus system at all. It was just the few images I got that I noticed some out of focus from when my son was running. But like I said, if I had more time with it im sure I could figure out a better method of using it accurately.

I've sent it back to the seller now. I did think about sending it to olympus for repair, I even filled out the repair form online. But then had second thoughts. They wanted proof of purchase and or warranty card. I purchased it from a seller on ebay, so only had that as proof. And I wasnt sure they would count that if the camera was under warranty. It may of cost me £100 or so for olympus to fix, but I figure I can just get my money back and buy a new body for the same cost with full warranty.

I would love the panasonic G7 like has been mentioned. But that camera is close to £500 here and that is a bit more than im looking to pay at the moment. Thats why I spoke of the G6 as that has come down in price a lot since the 4k G7.

I am very tempted to buy another omd m10. I found one for £270 brand new from an online retailer. I even purchased a lens to go with it that is now gathering dust lol

10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The locking shutter us unfortunately pretty common with those first generation EM10s. It happened to mine out of warranty, I paid Olympus Repair to fix it. I found quite a few similar occurrences online. Other than that, it was a great camera!

11. goldaxe

goldaxe New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2016
    Yeh I also found a lot of the same problem with this model. Makes me wonder if buying another is really the best idea. :s Maybe im better off saving for the g7 for another month or two

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I own two E-M10s that I purchased new a couple years ago. Both work fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this model.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk