First Bird Photos with OM-D and Panny 100-300

Discussion in 'Nature' started by newbert, Apr 6, 2013.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I don't photograph birds very often because a) I don't have the patience, and b) don't really have the equipment necessary for really good shots. But, I learned of a roadside osprey nest in the next county and decided to try my luck with my Olympus OM-D E-M5, and my newly acquired Panasonic 100-300 zoom lens.

My first efforts (yesterday) didn't yield much. but this afternoon, I got really lucky. When I arrived, there was no activity at all at the nest. But I decided to set up anyway and hope for the best. (One thing I've learned is that you have to be ready to shoot at a moment's notice.) Well, as I said I got REALLY lucky.....Within 5 MINUTES, I saw a bird in the distance, still not really sure whether it was one of the Ospreys. Suddenly, it made a beeline towards the nest. I zone focused at the nest and fired off about 15 shots in burst mode (handheld :eek:). Here's what I got (These are each cropped by about 40-50%):

Not bad for a "lowly" m43 system! :biggrin:

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Very nice... There's an osprey nest nearby I've been trying to photograph too, but nothing as nice as your shots.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Very good shots!!!!!!

4. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Nice images! E-M5 and Panny 100-300mm is not a "Lowly m4/3 system" it is a sophisticated, highly technical imaging system. It may have it's quirks as do all set-ups but it can compare with the very best cropped cameras anywhere. Maybe you are referring to it's ability with BIF in which case your MO would show the E-M5 at it's best - prefocus on a large subject and rapid fire. If however you wanted to aquire AF and track a Swallow for instance, the set-up would indeed act in a very "Lowly" fashion!

David

5. Captmatt

Captmatt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Homer, Alaska
    Matt Wilkens
    Great shots, looks like a great lens for the price!

6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks, everyone!

As for my "lowly" comment, I was being sarcastic. Your assessment of the system's capabilities are spot on, but continuous focus is not one of it's strengths.

My Nikon D300's continuous tracking is superior, but IMO that's about all that's superior about it. ....And there's no way that I could get a 600mm (FF equivalent) lens for $600 for the Nikon system. :smile: I'm quite happy with this combo.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great images Bert and thanks for sharing.

I am in the process of letting my DSLR kit go (too big / heavy and hardly used) and getting an OMD kit with this 100-300 as part of it so it is good to see such nice images.

8. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Can't wait to see your second try! The first one produced awesome photos!