1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First bird photo

Discussion in 'Nature' started by PhilS, Aug 8, 2013.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Very hard to autofocus with the OMD with such a small bird amongst the clutter of the branches. Any tips on how to better focus. It seems the autofocus area is too large and the camera gets confused with surrounding branches.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/9466360717/" title="OMD EM5 &amp; OLYMPUS M.75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II by philipsavory, on Flickr"> 9466360717_4fe0194479_b. "1024" height="576" alt="OMD EM5 &amp; OLYMPUS M.75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II"></a>

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Nice shot. To make the focus box smaller, set one of the fn buttons to magnify, hit the magnify button twice to bring up the magnification factor and dial it in to x14. Hit the button again to zoom out. The focus box is now very small.

3. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    That little bird (Superb Fairy-wren) is tiny and quick. I am yet to get a picture of it :mad: You did well there Phil :thumbup:

And Sam ... back to the corner and ... learn for your exam please :wink:

Here are the detail menu steps for setup magnify button:

Menu - Custome menu - B.Button Dial - Button Function - "Choose one button (mine is the record button) - Function Magnify - OK

And then follow Sam's second bit to complete the setup: "hit the magnify button twice to bring up the magnification factor and dial it in to x14. Hit the button again to zoom out."

Good luck.

4. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    great community here...uci2ci and helaxong thanks for your help.The camera is setup as per your details, just wish the focus box was smaller. The bird was sooooo tiny the AF did not work to well as the branches got in the way. Lucky I got one good shot though, and ya.. these birds jump all over the place and keep you on your toes. I might go for big and slow moving next time.. maybe a .... chicken

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Damn! you caught me.....alright, I'll be good :biggrin: