1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First attempt with my new E-M10 and comparison to Canon 700D

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by MadMarco, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Hi All,

I've just bought a new E-M10 with a view to replacing my Canon 700D with something smaller and more versatile. We had a break in the usually bad weather on Friday night so I could get my telescope out and do a few test shots as a comparison. The conditions weren't great with thin cloud at high altitude drifting in and out from time to time, seeing conditions were average(ish). I live in the middle of a big town so light pollution is a problem, especially when the seeing and clouds are a factor.

All photos are ISO 800, 30 second exposure on a William Optics ZS71 refractor telescope. I've stacked 30 exposures in Deep Sky Stacker with dark and bias frames. The Pleiades images are lightly processes in Photoshop to show all the nasties with a level expansion and setting the grey point. The Orion Nebula image has been more heavily processed...

Comparing the E-M10 and 700D images, shows very little advantage from one camera to another. The differences in the final images could be as much down to the varying conditions as to the differences in the cameras. This also follows my impressions with normal photos taken during the day. I think that my 700D kit will be going on eBay, I honestly can't see myself using it any more having tried the E-M10.

Olympus E-M10 - Pleiades M45
    Light1_E-M10.

Canon 700D - Pleiades M45
    Light1_700D_.

Olympus E-M10 - Orion Nebula M42
    Light3_E-M10.

Let me know what you think!

EDIT: I have spent a bit more time processing the images to tease out as much details as I can.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    My only comment is WOW. The Nebula looks awesome. I can barely shoot the moon.

Nice Shots.
    The EM-10 seems to show larger halos around the stars compared to the 700D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Very nice work on the Orion nebula! And its nice to see the OM10 keeping up (and being a lot lighter, easing the work of the tracking)

4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Thanks for the comments.

I think that the halos are at least in some part because the conditions weren't ideal. The high thin clouds tend to scatter light which makes everything a little bit diffused and lacking definition, or maybe for this type of work the 700D has a smidgen more dynamic range. I'll have a much better idea when we have one of the very infrequent nights of perfectly clear skies.

Also it is worth mentioning that the E-M10 magnifies the image and the halos because the 4/3 sensor is smaller than the APS/C sensor in the Canon with the same image projected onto it.