First attempt at street

vinay

Mu-43 Regular
First attempt at street and I somehow decided to try to do this at 9mm.. Quite challenging - no matter how close I got, I felt like I had to get closer! here are my keepers:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/veesah/7099782717/" title="Untitled by veesah, on Flickr">
7099782717_a61ab1db14_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"800" height="577" alt="Untitled"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/veesah/6953643560/" title="Untitled by veesah, on Flickr">
6953643560_836a88ac08_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"800" height="540" alt="Untitled"></a>

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
A little CC

I like them both, I use a 24 (on my Nikon FE) or a 14 or 20 on my m4/3

#1, Straighten the Hortz.
#2, If this guy has a daily habit of passing this same building, wait until he clears the Right side concrete divider..maybe 1/3 in.

Keep up the good photography... the 9mm is an interesting FL for Street..YOU do need get close!

Link to a great Street Photography site....
LSPMagazine - Life as a Street Photographer

ON THE RIGHT (in the black menu bar) is a link to their forum

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A little CC

I like them both, I use a 24 (on my Nikon FE) or a 14 or 20 on my m4/3

#1, Straighten the Hortz.
#2, If this guy has a daily habit of passing this same building, wait until he clears the Right side concrete divider..maybe 1/3 in.

Keep up the good photography... the 9mm is an interesting FL for Street..YOU do need get close!

Link to a great Street Photography site....
LSPMagazine - Life as a Street Photographer

ON THE RIGHT (in the black menu bar) is a link to their forum

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing the link. I also like Street Reverb

And if you want to get deep into street photography you gotta check out John Free JohnFreePhtography - YouTube

Real Name
Andrew
jim_khoo said:
i newly acquired the Sigma 19mm and find that it is very street friendly.

Hey Jim. Can you post some samples on the real street thread? Id like to see if i can use it as a street shooter for me along side my 14. Thinking of mounting it in my to be bought em5

jim_khoo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hey Jim. Can you post some samples on the real street thread? Id like to see if i can use it as a street shooter for me along side my 14. Thinking of mounting it in my to be bought em5
i posted some i shot this morning at a street market.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I like these, particularly the first. Ultra wide angle is an interesting approach for street - the way it pulls all lines to the center so radically tends to make for almost automatically decent compositions that pull you into the shot. At which point the challenge is to get close enough. But to my mind, that's ALWAYS the challenge with street shooting. If you really want to catch the moment and feel something about the people, you gotta get in there. I did some street work with the 9-18 for a while last summer and I really liked it, but its sort of like using a particular art-filter or PP preset - after a while all of the shots start looking the same and it becomes more of a crutch than an aid. That said, I have a British friend from a weekly C&C thread over on DPR that shoots street almost exclusively at 9mm and almost never fail to find his street work really interesting and he never seems to lean on the wide angle but really USES it well. I find I'm most comfortable at 24 or 28mm equivalents - with my m43 gear I tend to shoot more at 24 because the excellent Oly 12mm lens gives you that snap focus lens ring that makes zone focussing well....., a snap. But I like to go really wide on occasion. And if I'm shooting something that's inherently bizarre, I'll sometimes even use the fisheye to add to the weirdness. Which often fails horribly but occasional succeeds spectacularly.

Keep shooting - there's no substitute for experience when it comes to getting comfortable with street shooting (and some people just never feel right about it) and you're off to a great start. Keep playing with the 9mm, but don't lean too hard on it. The main point is to try to tell a story and the lens will never do that for you...

I have a LOT of street shots in this Flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/sets/72157625928516271/

And a lot more from the last three weeks in NYC (that I haven't yet been able to incorporate into that first street set) here - there's also a fair amount of non-street stuff in this set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/sets/72157629714382477/

-Ray

vinay

Mu-43 Regular
wow, great stuff on those sites.. thanks for the links!

Ultra wide angle is an interesting approach for street - the way it pulls all lines to the center so radically tends to make for almost automatically decent compositions that pull you into the shot.

That was exactly my logic when I decided to try 9mm... but as I realized, it's a quite difficult focal length to wield :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom