1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First attempt at stars

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by thearne3, Sep 2, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    With most of the houses on the lake still without power, a new moon and clear skies - seemed like a good opportunity to try a shot by starlight. I took both jpeg and RAW. The jpeg was better: many of the RAW stars were colored red or green. Is that the norm? I am using Aperture. No such problem with jpeg.

OC welcome!

E-P3 14mm f2.5 30sec iso200 jpeg Color enhancement with Viveza
    20110901-23-18-21_9019972.

Here is a link if you want to see a bigger version:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wQ5TbjP-vzA/TmD8AFH4AKI/AAAAAAAADas/xrKBzEauNV4/s1024/20110901-23-18-21_9019972.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Wow, awesome shot! Love that amber kind of sky toward the horizon. Very nice!

3. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Thanks! The glow is actually the lights of nearby Danbury CT...but don't tell anybody!

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Cool shot, Tom! Hand-held, right?

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Thats beautiful.:biggrin:

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What colors are you expecting from stars? Many are red and some blue as well as gold! Our eyes do play tricks on us with color in the dark of night (Danbury light dome or not).

7. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Not for 30 seconds! Tripod.

I was just surprised that the jpeg rendered all stars white, while the RAW shows many red and green (I was shooting RAW + LSF).

Noise Reduction was on AUTO. I assume this applies to both jpeg and RAW, but maybe not. Noise Filter was OFF. The OOC jpeg did a very good job of dealing with noise for the long exposures.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry forgot the smiley face on my hand held comment.

Interesting on the NR settings. I had set both to off when I received my ep3, but sounds like Noise Reduction is needed for long exposures. We're heading up to my wife's family lake cabin this weekend, so may have to give some night shots a go.

9. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Great photo, very soothing...

Could it be auto-corrected CA?

10. RobWatson

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that at the focal length used the stars basically look like pixel level defects to the camera "brains" so they get extra attention (a.k.a. srewed with alot). Thus the big diff between jpeg and raw.

I like this guys work and the particular comet photo shows lots of very colorful stars too.Google Images

To the extent that the colored filters on the camera actually convey the 'true' colors from stars is a whole 'nother can o' worms that my astrogeek buddies can carry on for months if you let them.

Since I forgot to mention ... I really like your photo and I don't care about star colors. It looks nice and relaxing there. I just hope you don't have quite so many aggressive skunks ands raccoons as I do because they make it very hard to relax out under the stars!

• Like Like x 1
  11. vidiot72

vidiot72 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 11, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    WOW! Thanks for inspiring me to try that next!

12. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Deffinatly frame worth, awsome photograph! :2thumbs:

13. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Thanks for the link, Rob. Cool stuff. Much higher magnification vs. the Panny 14mm!

Here is a screenshot of the center area of the Big Dipper - OOC jpeg (left) vs RAW - 100%

14. RobWatson

Actually, I'm not sure what color those stars are supposed to be but I see what you mean about a dramatic color shift! It does look too danged green in the raw. I wonder if that has to do with the Bayer mask and transformation to RGB ... lots more green signal and better SNR in green so it stands out against the noisy and fainter colors?

This is why I like to know exactly what the NR does, and generally all processing in camera, so these kinds of things can be sorted out definitively. I've been reading too much about aperture photometery so my head is not screwed on the right way just now.

15. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Tom,

That's a beautiful photograph. RAW - JPEG - Film.. just a really nice image.

Cheers, Alan

16. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
  17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Tom, I think it is your RAW processor. I use ACR and do not have this problem (example and 100% crop from an E-P1). Try the Olympus RAW converter and see if you get a different result. Your processor seem to have a problem in interpolating the color of pixels when there is like color information in the neighboring pixels. Stars are different colors, but green is really not one of them--for stars, it is not easy being green (they are blackbody radiators and their spectra goes from red to blue).

Attached Files:

18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The Earth spins. If you put your camera on a tripod and make long exposures--about 20+ seconds--the star images will begin to trail. Focal length and how close you are pointing toward the equator will determine how fast they begin to trail.

• Like Like x 2