1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First attempt at indoor sports (roller derby)

Discussion in 'Sports and Action' started by KatieWondergirl, Nov 8, 2018.

1. KatieWondergirl

KatieWondergirl New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2018
    EFDEE42E-507C-4366-8D27-F013E04FAAD8.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    79C301EA-593E-4C94-8E78-730DE9BB5281.jpeg
    80B8AE48-637F-41A0-BDF6-8766A3587C6D.jpeg
    3C66DB61-1270-44BC-BF35-43B7113CC572.jpeg
    90A8F51D-E372-4A7E-ABD8-A6CFB454640A.jpeg
    F67F2B0E-F74F-4272-8152-256810EFD299.jpeg
    6B3F0E6C-268A-45F5-85F5-3A554909FD78.jpeg
    77A54365-D35F-477E-A359-EA76C0D0C071.jpeg
    FB19CE6C-A942-45F3-9B66-0348695842BA.jpeg
    Most of these are at ISO 6400 and 1/400 shutter speed using the EM1ii and Olympus 40-150f2.8... my kid was playing and there wasn’t a pro there taking pictures so I thought I’d try. I got a few hundred keepers, and definitely learned a lot I will try to apply next time... here are just a few :) 

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. PannyPaul

PannyPaul Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    what f stop did you use? I always tend to shoot wide open indoors to keep the iso and noise down. I find 1600 is about the most acceptable. Great pics though that convey the atmosphere.

3. KatieWondergirl

KatieWondergirl New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2018
    2.8... the lighting at that venue is notoriously bad :(  I hope to take some more pictures at other venues when our team travels, as I know that while all of them are less than ideal, this one is especially dim!

Thanks for the kind words.

4. PannyPaul

PannyPaul Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Yep sometimes you just got to work with what you got. My daughter used to skate and her rink was really dim too. Nobody ever considers the photographer :) 

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Oly Roller

Oly Roller New to Mu-43

I started shooting roller derby in 2018 and have found the lighting to be consistently horrible. A lot of the photogs I've met use off-camera flash (speedlights mostly) and others shoot at 6400 ambient with 2.8 glass. I chose to go with on camera flash (although with a bracket for a bit of separation) because I don't have the OC flash units and my images really suffer past 3200. Yours came out pretty well and the E-M1ii obviously does a lot better than mine at higher ISOs.

6. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2015
    If there are no pro's, ask to shoot from the infield :)  My limited experience with Derby is that everyone is really friendly!

Crappy lights are par for the course with derby in my experience. Embrace the noise and shoot at the iso that allows you to freeze the skaters. Convert to B&W to hide some of noise if you want. One suggestion, pull back a bit on your shots so you don't chop of the feet of the skaters, you can crop a bit in post easily.

Shots look good, good luck on the next bout.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Embrace the noise! There’s a battle cry. Is roller derby played outside of North America? I really have no idea.

8. Rollasaurus

Rollasaurus Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Evansville IN USA
    Most venues are awful for photography . Our local roller derby league has a pro that comes in and sets up several flashes, on lightstands, before the bout. He also does all the leagues headshots and any photo shoots outside of bouts.

9. Rollasaurus

Dec 27, 2018
    Evansville IN USA
    Roller derby is played around the world. There are over a 1000 leagues worldwide. We had the London Rollergirls play in our city, a few years ago when we hosted part of the world championship playoff tournament.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    I’m a bit confused here...I’ve always thought that flash at an indoor sporting or other action event can be a huge distraction to your subjects that it can/will effect their performnce. I recall a televised boxing match where the referee delayed the start of a round to have the announcer remind people that a flash may lead to distraction leading to injury.
    Also, a professional dancer said that’s one reason that cameras, especially with flash are NOT allowed at B’way shows. Imagine a dancer missing a step nd falling.
    Or is all this hogwash?

11. Rollasaurus

Dec 27, 2018
    Evansville IN USA
    It is a problem in some events, but the way they are positioned for the bouts they aren’t a problem. They did a few test runs, at practices, before the league ok’d the use for the sanctioned bouts.

12. Oly Roller

Oly Roller New to Mu-43

I only have one season under my belt, but I shot 17 bouts and used flash at all except one. I always ask first and was never turned down. The first few bouts I asked random skaters if the flash bothers them and without exception got the same response: "What flash?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Thanks!
    I recently took a look at a schedule for several indoor events so I could practice. You’ve cleared away the last excuse to not getting out there.

14. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2015
    Here's a shot in London, I think Swansea City vs London?
    20160507-175631-031.jpg

To keep it on-topic, the bout photog (back left) had a couple (can't remember 2 to 4) remote speedlights on posts in the corners to illuminate. If you are lucky to get a lower ceiling, you can bounce like this, but is more gear than just shooting on-camera.

You can practice panning at derby also, but if you can get the skaters face it's going to be a better shot (shoot from the infield if you can). Here's something when you don't get the face.
    20160507-175730-035.jpg

Go back and shoot some more!

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.