1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First attempt at HDR. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PhotoPat, Jul 18, 2012.

1. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Panasonic GX1 with kit 14-42
    Any pointers that could make these better?
    I used photomatix through lightroom 2.

7599229964_ae9798b540_b. 7599239354_9fc2b1ff37_b. 7599237374_fb5ea8c97d_b.

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I think you did a fine job ! The HDR edits are well balanced and not overcooked.
    Not a lot that could be done better !

C U
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  3. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Pretty good for your first try. You are getting halos where the trees and the pier meet the sky. Play with Photomatix some more and you can get rid of those. I think the control is called "light smoothing" or something like that. I'm at work, so I don't have it in front of me to look at it.

The important thing is to keep at it. You'll get better the more you shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great job!

Hi PhotoPat and welcome to the world of HDR. About 50% of my shooting uses HDR. Your three examples look good for 1st attempts, and I’m sure you will receive many suggestions.

Some things you need to understand – those who use HDR love it, and those who don’t usually hate it. Each person will develop their own style, the “look” they want to achieve. There really isn’t any right or wrong. We tend to use HDR in situations where it’s really not needed (myself included). Where it really works is in situations where you have very bright areas and very dark areas, where it’s impossible to get a proper exposure of all the scene elements. My favorite HDR subjects are churches. If used in moderation, it can produce natural looking photos. I have a tutorial on my blog (below).

Personally I like Nik’s new HDR Efex Pro2 and of course the most popular program Photomatix. Keep shooting, and please keep sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Very nicely done. A "natural" look, versus "hyper-real." My fave is the truck - I would not suspect it to be HDR-treated, but a correctly exposed single image.

Watch out for sky areas. The halos around the bridge are particularly noticeable. I've found that images that include significant areas of sky are a pain to get right. You just need to play with sliders to see what will reduce them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    I think your HDR shots look really good. I did notice the halos as well, but me being another noob at HDR I'm finding it challenging to get rid of them.

Your shots don't looked "over-cooked" as some people say and it does look good. Although my personal opinion is that if you like that more edgy look that comes from "over-cooking it" (you'd think I was talking about steak or something) then go for it. I like that look, kind of opens up a new world and way of looking at your subject. I think both methods have their purpose.

Nice work and keep it up!

• Like Like x 1
  7. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Oh wow! Just saw all the feedback today! Thank you do much for the tips. I was definitely wondering about the "halo" effect. I'm going to keep playing with it and I will share more soon! Thanks again everyone.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's an example

Not trying to hijack this thread, but here's a good example of how HDR in moderation can enhance a shot. I only used the -1, -2 and 0 shots as the scene was overly bright.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/7454173248/" title="Maui 2012_07 by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 7454173248_d0d76e3481_z. "640" height="480" alt="Maui 2012_07"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  9. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Wow! That's a great shot! Thanks for sharing.

10. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    The only dumb questions are those we don't ask!

"So whats DHR and all that cooking talk?"