First Attempt at Car Shots

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by twokatmew, Nov 28, 2012.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yesterday I took a road trip to Stahl's Automotive Museum, and I took a lot of shots. I took my EM5, 17/2.8, 45/1.8 a tripod and my polarizer. (RT Panther, thanks for reminding me about the polarizer!)

I ended up only using my EM5 with 17/2.8 and polarizer. I was shooting in aperture mode, wide open. But at some point I handed the camera off to someone and never noticed it came back with the aperture set at 5.6. :mad: Can you tell I'm new at this? :eek:

I've glanced through the photos in Lightroom, and I'm rather disappointed, but it's a learning experience, eh? :smile: So far I've only selected a handful to process and perhaps keep. Anyway, here are a few shots. C&C welcome. I need all the help I can get!

The full set of the '48 Tucker is at:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100183747971194719226/albums/5815938732741243761

Now I do really like this shot:

Shot RAW, processed in LR4.2.

Thanks for looking! :smile:

• Like Like x 8
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I like the first and the last, I am with you the 4th is the best.
    The other two if you could walk back, we could see more of the car.
    In the third I would like to see a shot which shows the engine.

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Nice shots, I always loved the Tucker, it was truly ahead of its time. Thanks for sharing!

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    • Like Like x 1
  5. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Very cool car, but I imagine it's challenging in that setting to get a shot that shows off a lot of the car without incorporating too much distracting background. I do like the Rt. 66 signs off to the side in the second shot. Maybe you could have framed it to make them more prominent. I agree that the 4th is best.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes! I was thrilled to find one on display so close to me (2 hour drive). I loved the movie. This car, #15, was completely restored after it was used in the movie.

I'd love to take a ride in it, but alas.... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Heh is it wrong that the car is nowhere near me, but the adventurous side of me is screaming ROAD TRIP! ;)

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    It was very challenging indeed! That's why I took a shot of the whole car and a bunch of closer shots. In addition to all the Route 66 memorabilia, Stahl's has a huge organ. I got shots of the organ as well as the wall of Route 66 signs you mention. Will post more once I finish going through all the shots. :smile:

Thanks for your comments! :smile:

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Not at all! They're only open from 1-4pm every Tuesday, but I'll definitely be going back. Three hours is nowhere near enough time to take it all in. The staff was really helpful and forthcoming with information. I spoke with one gentleman who's a walking car encyclopedia. I didn't know that no two of the 50 Tuckers was identical. IIRC, only one, #48, had an automatic transmission. 51 if you count the prototype dubbed the "tin goose."

10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I rarely use a polarizer, I didn't at LeMays auto museum. I like reflections and think in many cases it emphasizes just how shiny and deep some car finishes really are. I know the auto shooting masses say 'use a polarizer', I do, but very sparingly, and never in lowlight conditions.

I also tend to under-expose a tad, because of my bias to do this, your images are a tad over or hot or bright, for my preference. Now, I say 'my preference', this does not make me right, nor am I suggesting my way is the only way.

I set out to have a unique look to my car images, so there is a certian way I shoot. I tend to shoot wideopen or close to it. I know folks say 'shoot in a lenses sweet spot', and I couldn't tell you what these 'sweet spots' are. I find my images to be sharp and colorful, even wideopen.

I always shoot in manual mode, on any body I use except my pure point and shoot cameras that have very limited manual controls.

With the lens you used, you had a 35mm equvilent, in this type of enviroment, I like wider, say the 'fabulous, must own' 14mm, or the OMD kit lens at the wide 12mm end, as you can frame the car easier, get more of the cars body, and get down low and get some unique angles, which I love your angles in shots 1 and 2, you are getting low with the car, and seeing it from/how another car would see it, getting personal and getting on it's level.
    that to me, is where/how the magic happens.

I don't like images where it looks like somebody is standing up normal, and taking a picture of a car, those type of shots can work, and I will do a few, but very few, rather, take advantage of the cars curves and see them in a way nobody really does, on their level, and down and personal.

e-pl1, 14mm at f/2.5, 1/40 second, iso200, no polarizer.

mus-112.

I would have liked to have seen more car in your frames, and I know how hard this can be in a museum type setting, using a wider lens helps greatly.

I do like your shots very much, they are very good, and again I hope I don't come off as thinking my way is best, as I don't know, I am only a newbie and beginner, I have just found I do things a certian way.

the best advice I can give you, is have fun.

have fun....

when you are having fun, and getting personal with your subject, and letting your photography be a release from the troubles of your life, that is when.... the magic happens....

• Like Like x 7
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Lucille, thanks so much for your comments! Yesterday I found myself wishing I'd had a 14/2.5 while shooting. What metering mode do you use when shooting manual?

I don't like the harsh lighting, but I got caught up trying to make the car finish look like it did in the museum yesterday ... and to show more detail in the car. Duh... I reproduced the harsh lighting from the museum! I shot RAW, so I can go back and reduce the exposure a bit.

Next time I'll try it without the polarizer, and I have a 14/2.5 on the way. :smile: Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments. I love your photography! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Love Tuckers! :wink: :smile:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 2
  14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks RT. I love your car shots too! :biggrin:

15. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This shot change the whole set. I was missing the full car shot that will give me how this car look. After you got this down you can go to the details. It is sort of abstract part of an article.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Half the job!

I just wanted to add these images of a Mini that was cut in half and given as a birthday present to the big boss!

Half_price.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Very cool!

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nice shots - I also like the last one! :thumbup:

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks! :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!