1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First attempt at anything in the sky: First Moon

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by nebulight, Mar 16, 2014.

1. nebulight

nebulight Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    43FzScx.

CAMERA: Olympus OM-D E-M5
    LENS: Panasonic 45-175mm @175mm
    ISO: 200
    APERTURE: F9
    SHUTTER SPEED: 1/500s
    This is a 100% crop. I was surprised what I was able to get out of it. I picked up this lens to try to shoots astro stuff but quickly realized this won't cut it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    That's quite a good shot for such a short lens. When I had the Olympus 75-300mm I found it gave 'OK' moon shots but still kind of on the short side for me. I'm not able to fill the frame with the moon until I break out my 8 inch Newtonian telescope that's roughly 1200mm. I have taken serviceable moon images at a 500-600mm equivalent.

You might try taking multiple shots and then stacking them in a program like DeepSkyStacker. You may be able to pull out some more details, the "seeing" conditions may also affect the sharpness as well as focus. I will usually take multiple shots on manual focus and pick the best one if I can't see clearly enough to focus by EVF. The moon can be a very bright object at full so hard to see the details in the EVF at 350mm equivalent.

I have since sold my Oly 75-300mm lens but this image below was taken with my Minolta 300mm f4.5 at f11, ISO 200, 1/40s on my E-P5, cropped by 70%. It was locked down on my overkill Manfrotto tripod with clear skies. This lens usually runs $60-$150 and this is really the only thing I've found that it's useful for because every other situation it has green CA all over and isn't sharp at all below F11. Great for moon shots though! :smile:

P3060007.

3. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Here's one I did with a $99 Olympus 40-150
    u4abymeb.
    I'm honestly quite surprised yours isn't sharper than mine - this is handheld, ISO 200, 1/640th, f8 iirc. What was your setup?

(For the record, this was pulled off Facebook, I'm at work)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. nebulight

nebulight Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    I was having a very difficult time trying to get the lens to focus. It seemed that with every slight move, it would go out of focus.

5. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    I had a similar experience with mine - focusing to infinity DOESN'T FOCUS ON THE MOON! What's up with that?

Still, it's amazing what can come out of a relatively inexpensive plastic lens, hey?

Oh, and are you talking manual or automatic focus?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I've tried to AF on the moon before and it usually doesn't work, I think the glare messes with it. And personally I hate focus by wire for astrophotography because of the lag between focusing and seeing the result. I think it the lag is worse in low light. However even with lenses that have the infinity mark the actual focus is never right on that. All my lenses including the 17mm 1.8 Olympus focus a tab past infinity, so they need to be backed off a bit from that. My legacy lenses do that too and I think there's a fix for it by shimming the adapter? I haven't bothered because I just use the 2x zoom in EVF.

Keep trying though! There's also another moon thread that has alot of good tips and examples.