1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First 45-150 review (camerastuff)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kwalsh, Sep 1, 2012.

1. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Noticed kind of tucked into a big 43rumors post that there is a first review of the Panasonic 45-150. I'm not sure how competent CameraStuffReview is, but they seem to say it compares favorably with the 45-175 (which is a nice lens once you overlook its OIS problems).

Review Panasonic 45-150 mm 4.0-5.6 (M-43)

I'm kind of interested in this lens as it is much more compact than my 45-200, but for me the big question will be how does it compare at infinity focus to my 45-200. I shoot landscapes with these things and I've found more than once that telephotos that test great on a small test chart at modest to close focus don't act the same at all at infinity.

Anyway, hopefully more reviews coming...

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't the main feature of 45-175 is internal zooming? Does 45-150 have internal zoom too? No mention of it in the review...

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So what's your recommendation?

4. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

That may be true of many telephoto zoom lenses, but it is not true of most primes. For example, my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II is less sharp at f=200mm than at f=70mm. That's why I also carry a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 which is tack sharp.

A zoom lens will always suffer at its maximum focal length because of the way it works. At longer focal lengths the zoom lens works by magnifying the centre of the field of view. So it works a bit like the combination of a teleconverter and a prime lens; it isn't ever going to be as sharp as a prime used alone.

In most cases, it will be sharp enough and people won't notice the difference in sharpness. But for critical work, it matters.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The 45-150 does not have internal zooming, it extends when zooming out to 150mm. Can't find now where I learned this.

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    @Art: No internal zoom on the 45-150. That is a slick feature of the 45-175. Though for storage/carrying I actually sometimes prefer the collapsing designs.

@Jonathan: I don't really have a good recommendation. For me, after testing the Olympus 40-150, Panasonic 45-175 and Panasonic 45-200 I ended up keeping the 45-200 despite the size. This was entirely on account of its performance at infinity focus where I use these lenses. Most people do not, they focus on closer subjects (people, animals) and in that range I think the 40-150 and 45-175 do a bit better and the choice would likely be different. Also, the 45-200 seems to suffer from pretty awful quality control, or at least it certainly did in the past. So anyone going for a 45-200 shoudn't but used and should only buy from a place that accepts returns easily. There is a long DPR thread on my infinity tests of these three lenses:

45-200/45-175/40-150 the winner is...: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

@CUB: I think we are talking about different things. I'm talking about subject/focus distance, not zoom. The Olympus 40-150 for example is very sharp when focused at a test chart distance at all focal lengths. Take an infinity focused shot instead and the corners get rather soft at all focal lengths. This is a typical property of asymmetric lens designs, the test results you get a test chart distances don't necessarily match the results at infinity. This is a nice write up of some of the issues:

Notes on MTF measurements

For this reason I always end up doing my own tests at infinity focus since that is where I shoot my lenses (landscapes) to make sure there isn't something odd going on. On most lenses the infinity results match the test chart results from places like DPR, photozone and SLRgear. But in some rare cases (40-150) they are rather different.

And yes, primes almost always do the corners better and can be sharper across the frame. Unless of course they have some other design ethic, like a small pancake, the 14/2.5 and 17/2.8 don't really do any better than most zooms and the 17 actually does a bit worse.

Oh, and apologies in advance if I didn't follow what someone was asking/commenting on!

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'm pleased with the results of the 45-200. Jonathan, aren't you looking for a 100-300? If you want to test and compare the 45-200 and the 100-300, let me know as I have both these lenses. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere of a test or better yet (as least for me), you're welcome to mosey down the The Five and test them at my humble home (but only if you're up to a BBQ, some camera talk all washed down with above average beverages).

Gary

8. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    I'd be interested in your thoughts on the 45-200. I have the 100-300 and thinks its a stunning lens, but always read dubious reviews on the 45-200 but also see some fantastic images from it too.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Great review. Sounds like this lens is a very nice inexpensive option for Panasonic bodies now. I am a little jealous that the sharpness is better than 45-175 :cool:
    Very subjectively, it also looks a bit fancier than the old Panasonic lenses doesn't it?

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    That's my experience with these type of lenses too, they perform well with things not too far away but can be a bit hit and miss with more distant objects.
    I've recently got the 45-175 and are still sussing it out, I've got some good results and some so so results but I'm working away this and next week and only have the work laptop to use so it's a bit hard to assess the quality.

Paul

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    P7140092-L.
    45mm

P7260027-L.
    56mm

[​IMG]
    120mm

P7260004.
    162mm

P7100147.
    188mm

P7260067-L.
    200mm

I found the lens acceptably sharp across the entire spectrum of zoom. Albeit, sports/action shots are not the best subject for a 'test', but it's all I have of one subject using various lengths.

G

• Like Like x 2
  12. jm2e

jm2e New to Mu-43

Aug 31, 2012
    I'm wondering if there are any updates about this lens. Odd that there aren't more hands on reviews/comparisons.
    I'm pretty excited about it. I know it sounds weird given the glut of overlap, but I'm optimistic that this will raise the bar amongst tele zooms to compare with something like the beloved Tamron 70-300 VC [value:IQ]
    I noticed that B&H is taking pre-orders, but wonder when to expect roll out.
    Also noticed that it comes in a silver edition....

13. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    is this listed for sale anywhere? I can't find it on amazon

14. jm2e

jm2e New to Mu-43

Aug 31, 2012
  15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Considering they show a photo supposedly taken with the 45-150 at 175mm, I'm not sure they're very competent. :biggrin:

I don't think I'll buy this, unless maybe for my wife's G3. My walk-around lens is usually the 14-140, and while this is a lot lighter, it doesn't get me anything in terms of range compared to that lens. When I need something long, I'll use the 45-200.

But this looks like a great match for the smaller bodies like the GF, GX and the G3.

16. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Actually it is a little smaller, I just measured it and fully extended it is about 12 centimeters, folded (if that is the right term) it is very compact indeed, personally I do not care that much that it is not an internal zooming lens, I want the smallest size possible to fit in my bag, when in use I don't mind that it extends a little...

17. Recercare

Recercare Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 21, 2012
    If they're about equal regarding IQ, then why not choose the 45-175mm?
    After all you get internal zoom and a little more reach. I just searched ebay and found a new 45-175mm for $250 USD ,which is the same price as a 45-150mm on BH.

Kind regards
    .lars

18. jm2e

jm2e New to Mu-43

Aug 31, 2012
    With all the MFT telephoto zooms selling for similar prices (new 45-150 vs used 45-175, etc) it comes down to size and IQ.
    I haven't heard anything suggesting that the IQ on any of these lenses is significantly different from the others. No hidden gems here (which is honestly what we're all secretly hoping for), just a bunch of budget kit zooms.
    Buy the focal length you want or what fits in your bag or what has video zoom.