1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JimUSNY, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    a couple things on EM1, why do they not have AF points switchable without having to use AF home or have to hit the info button while on the focus point screen.. why can they not have the ability to set a button for focus points that cycles thru the 4 possibilities?
    or abiilty to set a button that you can hold and cycle thru with a dial, single spot, single spot small, center weighted or all focus points.. or is this possible and I am missing something

Also wonder why they did away with AF type CAF/MF I used often to fine tune on my e5 when shooting birds in flight, TR mode simply does not work, at least for me

why does the ability to set a button to MF go away when you enable lever 2 in mode 5? I wonder if this is a missed bug, mode 5 really should not change that for any reason I can see, but if you set lever to mode 5 to switch quick between CAF and SAF, the ability to set any button to MF goes away in either lever position.. that is very handy for fine focusing on a stationary object that may not stay stationary very long, but still give me ability to switch to CAF from SAF with the lever
    I wonder of they just messed up on the firmware and left it out by accident

why cant they have a firmware option in body for focus limiting, where you could set a button to switch between long and close distance for faster focus?
    I am not sure how focus limiting works in the lens with switches, if its all done with firmware or a physical motor stop, but I see SIgma now has a dock you can use on some new lenses to set limiter distances with firmware, but they have to have a switch so maybe the switch actually does something physically inside to motor stop postion, But I would think it should be possible to do in body firmware telling the lens how far to search

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, center weighted is a metering mode, not an AF mode. And you can swap through it pretty quickly as is. The touchscreen is what makes other modes for AF selection moderately obsolete - if you want small box, just tap the screen where you want to AF, and you're done. I really wish you could do this with your eye to the EVF, GH3-style however. As for selection, I have the 9x9 screen selected and a custom button to select AF point, and cycle through with the twin dials (front for left to right, back up and down...or the other way around. I forget), and when you reach the edge of the selection grid it selects all points. For most other things I just use the super control panel - bring it up, tap or navigate to the item in question and use front dial to change the setting (no need to hit 'ok' first).

As to the MF thing, who knows. That's the annoying thing with the E-M5/M1, there's almost always something that's inexplicably not assignable to something else. Sometimes it's just because some other menu option is switched on, sometimes it's just because.

Software focus limiting sounds like it a handy feature for telephoto and macro work, though. Don't see why it couldn't work, as contrast based/fly by wire AF systems should be able to provide info on focus distance to the camera.

3. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Yes I meant the center oriented multi spot AF points what ever that is called, not the center weighted metering, I dont change the metering often and just use spot for birds.. I know its easier with touch screen to change. modes, but for shooting Birds, especially in flight I cant use the lcd, and turn off touch screen as I am always setting something by accident and only use VF.
    thanks for the reply.... I dont think Oly really cares much about wildlife shooters anymore :)