Firmware updating issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wclavey, Sep 1, 2013.

1. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I have been having some problems with the OMD freezing up once it goes to sleep and not restarting. I have had to remove the battery (...a real pain with the grip & battery pack attached). I thought I would check to see if there was a firmware update. I have read about this problem in some threads here and there was some hope that a firmware update would fix it.

I connected (via Viewer3) and found an update (v1.7) which I applied. I thought I could test that update out later today to see if it fixed the freezing...more on that later.

I thought I would then go through each of my lenses and check for updates. I checked all 5 of my 4:3s lenses and they were fine... it recognized the lens and had no updates. I also checked the Olympus lens websites to see if that was correct. So far, so good.

I attached the mFT3 14-42mm and the updater tool did not recognize the lens. I attached the mFT3 40-150mm and the updater tool did not recognize the lens.

I disconnected everything, shut it all down (...don't you just love the high tech industry... turn off your car, run around the outside, get back in and start it - - maybe it will work this time...). Still it did not recognize the lenses. I tried using the updater directly rather than through Viewer3 - - no luck. I checked the version of the updater - - it is the latest. I checked the Olympus website and could not find anything reported. I checked the forum here and did find a recent report about a lens not being recognized - - but the consensus seemed to be to ignore it.

I'm not keen on ignoring it... so I'd like to see if anyone else has had that problem and done something to correct it?

So, back to the OMD body freezing... after applying the v1.7 update and while I was searching the internet for a possible fix to this problem, I left the camera turned on. It went to sleep and then froze up and I had to remove the battery to restart it... I guess that the v1.7 firmware update did not fix this problem.

Added: After I posted this, I shot some pictures this afternoon with the 2 mFT lenses and checked the EXIF data. The OMD certainly knows what the lens is... it is listed in the EXIF... so I can only think it must be something with the updater software application.