1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware updates on G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave Reynell, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Stepping back in time, I took a look at the specifications of my G1 on the Digital Camera Review website earlier today. Taking a look at the "user reviews" for the G1 (it's always interesting to read what others have to say about one's camera) I came across the comment below (in italics). I immediately checked the firmware version on my own camera and discovered it was v 1.5 for the body and v. 1.0 for the lens (presumably the kit). Before attempting to download v 1.4, can anyone tell me more about it ?

there is a big difference between the original cam witout firmware 1.4 and with it.

I've got 2 items one with old program and one newer with firmware 1.4.

the quality difference will be enormous:

cam with firmware 1.4 much more sharper

++phantastic big viewfinder

++the better kit lens 14-45 is still sharper, too

++nearly no CA's

++viewfinder is bright when using adapter and closing aperture

With thanks

Dave

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you already have v1.5 why would you want to backtrack (if it's even possible) to v1.4?

The lens firmware is separate and is updated independently from the from the body. I believe the latest for the 14-45 is v1.2.

Fred

edited to add: You can find firmware updates and descriptions at Panasonics support web pages.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Any advantage made present in 1.4 will also be present in 1.5, so you shouldn't need to backtrack. But if you really wanted to, you could use PTool to build a firmware version that allows "upgrades" without checking that the new version number is higher, then you could backtrack to 1.4.

But I'd just use 1.5 and be happy.

4. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Good point Fred ! A dumb question on my part. Apologies.

Dave