Firmware updates are live.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
FYI, this firmware update may reset all your settings!

Even though Olympus says that settings will be saved when updating the E-M5iii from version 1.2 to version 1.3, that's not what happened. I'm now on version 1.3 with factory settings. ? Fortunately I keep a written copy of all my settings, so it's just a half-hour of my life to set everything back to where it was.

What's more interesting to me is that it seemed to reset some settings but keep others for both the E-M1iii and E-M1X; and then the settings that were kept vs. saved were not consistent between the two. Olympus definitely has some issues with their FW update process.

meredith

Mu-43 Rookie
As a follow-up, yeah I left the EM5.3 without a battery overnight, put a fresh one in today and still couldn't connect. Remote control and lazy image sharing (the pet pics must flow) is more important to me than some improvement to video stab, so I downgraded to 1.2 and was able to connect again first try. Now to get all my settings in place again...

Alex_230

New to Mu-43
I just updated to the latest firmware in my E-M5 mk III. Everything went well, camera works perfectly but wi-fi/bluetooth stopped working. When I turn on wi-fi and try to connect to the OI Share app, scan the qr code, start the setup, the app waits for bluetooth connection and after a minute it disconnects saying it cannot find the camera. Odd thing is, when i turn on wi-fi, i cannot see it in my local networks either, tried it on 2 Android devices and also on an iphone. Nothing worked.
So i guess I'm the second one to face this issue on the E-M5 MK III here.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
My E-M1 Mk3 is on firmware 1.1 and I've not been able to get the iOS version of the OI Share app to connect to the camera. Not that I would do a firmware update over wireless anyway. I don't plan to upgrade to the new firmware release for a while. I've seen enough on this thread to wait and see if an interim update to the firmware and/or the updating software comes out to ameliorate the reliability problems.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Thanks for the heads-up , everyone. I'm not updating the 5iii whilst the Bluetooth gremlin is a factor.

There are no meaningful gains for me anyway. I'll never afford the long Pro zoom , let alone focus stack with it!

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I just updated to the latest firmware in my E-M5 mk III. Everything went well, camera works perfectly but wi-fi/bluetooth stopped working. When I turn on wi-fi and try to connect to the OI Share app, scan the qr code, start the setup, the app waits for bluetooth connection and after a minute it disconnects saying it cannot find the camera. Odd thing is, when i turn on wi-fi, i cannot see it in my local networks either, tried it on 2 Android devices and also on an iphone. Nothing worked.
So i guess I'm the second one to face this issue on the E-M5 MK III here.
3rd one here ?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Olympus Workspace is marked as compatible with macOS v10.12 - v10.15. Catalina is 10.15
I performed the update on my E-M5 Mark III with MacOS 11.1 (Big Sur) without issue. Well except the Bluetooth/WiFi problem but that seems to be common to this firmware version so I don’t think it’s related.

Jeffp3456

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks, but I don't have anything like that under my General tab.. I don't get any message that something is blocked so I can't unblock it.
I read something about this on Dpreview, obviously it was a problem years ago, with High Sierra, but somehow it has worked for me until now. Now none of the recommended solutions work. I use Big Sur.
I guess I'll just have to skip these updates .
I updated via the OI Share app from my smartphone. Never done that before and IMO it was slow but it worked perfectly. You may wish to give it a try.

Susanne

Mu-43 Regular
I updated via the OI Share app from my smartphone. Never done that before and IMO it was slow but it worked perfectly. You may wish to give it a try.

That would be lovely! But it doesn't seem to be possible for my camera. (E-M1 Mark II).

meredith

Mu-43 Rookie
Re: EM5.3: I poked Olympus on twitter a couple times and didn't get a reply, so opened a support request with links back to here, my posts and the two others with issues.

Alex_230

New to Mu-43
I've some updates: spoke to an Olympus UK rep and acknowledged the issue and will send it to their support teams as well, and also Olympus US support was able to replicate the issue on one of their units. This might get solved sooner than expected.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Blimey what a nightmare.
Lucky for me it worked, looks like it's luck of the draw...shouldn't be

I've bricked a camera doing that however I might've been a bit impatient and thought the update had hung. Luckily it was new so had it swapped over DOA.

Luckily I've found that if the Updates going to crash, it'll crash before the critical point of no return.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Tried out the bird AF this morning. It's far from perfect but it does work. I'd say it hit 80-90% of the shots. Occasionally it'll still focus on the background or a branch in front.

Definitely nowhere near as game changing as Pro Capture but is still good. I think for me I'll be shooting with a 3X3 AF area rather than a single, smaller AF point.

I'd give it a B+. I'm probably a harsh critic though, as I was already not terrible at getting birds in focus. I normally shoot Pro Cap H when birding which is incompatible with C-AF, so I have to fallback to S-AF. Will be trying again over the weekend with either continuous shooting or Pro Cap L and CAF.

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
Theirs nothing particularly special in the update for the 5iii so wasn't in a rush anyway. After reading this thread I'm going to wait a little longer.

Last edited:

slob

Mu-43 Rookie
Updated both an e-m1 mkII and e-m1 mk III, using Olympus Workspace, from Win10. Both successful. Mostly.
Both forgot the language. The Mk II forgot the time of day. But the rest of the settings were restored.

Latest threads

Top Bottom