1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware update: where the heck is my cable?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by agentlossing, Jan 27, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My new-to-me EM10 is firmware v.1.0, and I believe I remember there being an update that adds 0-sec anti shock. But I didn't get the USB cable with this used purchase, and I don't think there is another way to update firmware, correct?

Anyone know if Olympus uses the same cable for all their models across the timescale? My EP1 came with a cable... Which is... Somewhere. I used it to update that camera's firmware and then did who knows what with it. Should I bother looking for it or just order a new cable?

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Everyone knows that second-hand camera purchases can't be updated! :biggrin:

3. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    I think they are the same since I can used on my E-P1,2,3 and E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes you can. I found this special update (it's been removed) which enabled me to update from this:

e-p2lens.

To this:

e-m1.

• Like Like x 6
  5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

On a serious note though... I believe you can perform the upgrade by manually downloading the firmware image and placing it on the SD card under a special file name and/or folder. That's basically what the Updater does - it polls a description file from Olympus' site, gets the download URL and downloads the file onto the camera.

Edit: Found it. http://lightsnowdev.blogspot.com/2014/09/olympus-om-d-e-m1-firmware-20.html - they list the steps needed ("new tutorial" method).

The only thing is that you will need the right image name for your camera model (for the file on the SD card), and the download link. For E-M1 this is E1092006.BIN, but this is different for other models.

The download links can be captured from the description file that the Olympus Updater downloads from their site - it's an XML file that has a list of all models and firmware URLs. I can get that for you when I'm home - or maybe other forum members could do this. You can use wireshark or any other packet capture tool to get this URL from Olympus Updater, but it may not download it at all if your camera isn't connected.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That won't work if you have an Olympus body. All updates are via USB.

7. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Updates are really from camera's memory, the updater only downloads the file. The image isn't flashed from your PC, but from the camera's memory, by the camera itself. Don't try it if you don't want to, but once the "updating firmware" screen is showing on the camera, you can disconnect the cable - it will keep going.

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    This is quite a revelation if you don't have Windows or a Mac. So finally a way to update.

9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Never understood why they didn't have the option to download the firmware onto a blank card and to boot up with it prompting the update. (least that's how it was with my older Pentax, and it insured I could check the file for MD5/etc checksum and not rely on slow internet before I even break out my camera).

10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

It should be reasonably easy to write a tool in [insert your language here - probably Python] for Linux. There are USB libraries for most languages available. You can write one without any knowledge of the USB commands the updater is using, but for the full experience you'd need to be able to trigger the upgrade from your PC. You'd need some Windows / mac machine first and a USB sniffer / of which there are many.

11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Exactly - it's not that the images or connection are encrypted or anything. It's security by obscurity. The updater is a nice and convenient option, but I have the same problem every time I want to update - where did I put that cable that I only ever use for software updates?

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well...there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/dCables-Olymp...10+cable&pebp=1422375401619&peasin=B00PPT482C

under $10 including shipping. Probably can find them cheaper.

I kept the OEM box the camera arrived in and the cable resides there (the box is in a cabinet devoted to seldom-needed camera gear). I have boxes of various I.T. cables laying around so it would be quite easy to misplace the camera cable - thus it stays in the box.

One of my pet peeves is the way Olympus use the cable/pc connection to update cameras; Nikon uses the 'card' system, wherein one downloads the update to a card and then the card is used to update the camera body.

I never had to use a cable when I shot with my original Olympus Pen FT :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

13. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Course an update meant either a new type of film, or a new lens. :p

... I miss my FT.

• Like Like x 1
  14. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Those older cameras that let you switch the sensor out for a few dollars were pretty cool :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I use the cable all the time to download the pictures off the camera. So it's always plugged in. Do people always take the card out to download?

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Ian!

I do. My computers have built in card readers so it's no trudge to download the photos. I think I get a faster download than using the cable/camera but I've never timed it (I shoot so few photos it's a moot point anyway).

Early on in my digital days (Nikon D70S) it was recommended that a card reader would save wear/tear on the Nikon battery (which was then quite expensive) and it became a habit I've never changed. Of course in exchange for the wear/tear on the battery, sliding the card in and out creates wear/tear on the card door :biggrin:.

On a longer than 1 day shoot I'll have multiple cards so it's easier to pop them into the built in card reader than to insert/extract them from the camera.

I don't think there's a 'right' way to do it - just different ways.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I always use the cable to download my Olympus cameras. Just a preference.

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Apparently Nikon is implementing/has implemented the same update process as Olympus. It reduces the process to effectively one step, plug your camera into your PC/Mac and press update. Every other device that we update is effectively done in the same way, so why should camera updates be done any differently?

19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't like using that flimsy rubber door for the ports, so I always remove the card.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

• Like Like x 2
  20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Since I tend to take quite a few photographs, my cable is permanently connected to the rear USB port on my PC and that way the cable is always there for download/updates. It's not as if modern computers are lacking USB ports, requiring you to store the cable anywhere but attached to the PC.