Firmware update uploaded not english

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sandy nevard, Dec 17, 2015.

1. sandy nevard

sandy nevard New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    I have just downloaded the new firmware update to my E-M1 camera making sure to select english.Everything went ok till I turned the camera back on to find that the menu is probably in chinese.It is only when I press menu,
    Can anyone tell me what I should do to get it in english

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, download the manual to see which section the language settings are in, and take a picture of the screen in that section. I can get it translated if it's Chinese.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    sorry I don't understand what you mean

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    just use google translate on your phone, where you can find a camera icon inside the app, it translates words in pictures.

I use that to understand my grey market G6 in Japanese

edit: are you sure that's Chinese? you'll need to make sure what language you're translating from in google translate app, Japanese language contains some Chinese characters and they can look alike, an easy way to tell would be posting a screenshot here, and I'll help you.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Menu button -> Bottom option (spanner) -> Second option (head with speech bubble, under date) -> Choose the language you desire, they're all written in native script.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    I do not have this option

7. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    I have it on my phone but I don't know how to show it to you

8. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    Where on earth did you download that firmware from? The Olympus Digital Camera Updater doesn't have any language options...

9. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    thank you everyone for your help

10. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    Is there a manual that will help understand the new menu settings for the new Firmware update on the E-M1

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
  12. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    from the olympus site but on the camera it was in chinese.Seems others have had the same problem.You have to contact them to sort it out

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm Chinese, so you don't need to figure a way out to show me the translate results, just show me whatever you took with your phone, jyc860923 @ gmail dot com

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    This is the Olympus firmware update site - in English: Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera
    From there you can download the Camera Updater software - also in English.

You don't ever download the firmware itself from anywhere, this is handled fully by the Camera Updater Software. And this will download firmware containing all supported languages.

15. sandy nevard

Dec 17, 2015
    sandy nevard
    thank you for this help. I have always downloaded from a computer to the camera, forgetting that I can do it straigt to the camera itself

16. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    When I updated mine it turned it back to the original language (Chinese??) this was because I bought is off eBay via a cheap Hong Kong dealer.

At first I panicked but then I scrolled down through menu to the spanner icon and it's the second item down - an icon of a person and a speech bubble. Click that and you should see the language choices.