firmware update problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rmazzi, Apr 23, 2010.

1. rmazzi

rmazzi New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 23, 2010
    i am trying to download the new firmware update and the screen says NG anyone know where i can get help?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I'm not sure what "NG" means. If you've followed all the directions (I did find it helpful to read this thread Pen firmware update before I began, so I had some idea of what to expect) and know you've done everything correctly, then I think you should call Olympus's customer service people or contact them in whatever way is best for you.

In the meantime, perhaps someone else more knowledgeable than I will be able to give you a hand.

It worked for me, though at first I wasn't clear that I had to chose "storage" on the camera to get it to do its thing...so it took me two tries to get it to work, but then all worked out fine. I just connected it via the cord to my MacBook Pro and everything worked out fine.

Please let us know what happens, rmazzi. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A neat trick with the E-P2 ( and possibly its siblings) is that when you plug in the usb cord the camera switches on automatically. I also set the USB options in the menu to Storage instead of Auto and then you are instantly ready to connect either to the Updater or to your image downloader of choice.

Just a thought - I'm using a powered USB hub - it may be relevant if it doesn't work for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    I can confirm this. The updater is a little vague about the USB setting, but on the E-PL1 when you plug it in via USB it automatically starts, and the choice you want is "storage." It took nearly ten minutes, but half of that was downloading. If you have a very fast internet connection it could be quicker.

• Like Like x 2
  5. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I always remove my card first, before any updates

6. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
    I have just updated the firmware for my e-pl1, but the screen only shows new update v1.1 for the body, not the lens, is that true?

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

That's the way it should be. You're all set until there's another update. The lens is as it should be for now.

By the way, keikei, welcome to mu-43.com! If you have the time, stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum and say hello.:smile:

8. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

Thanks, I look forward to spending my time here!

• Like Like x 2