Firmware update on a G10. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wreckless, Feb 23, 2012.

1. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Has anyone successfully updated the firmware on a G10 body or lens (kit or otherwise)? Searched the forums and found nothing about the G10 in regards to an update procedure. I followed the instructions on the Panasonic support page for updating lens firmware and it doesn't even seem to see the file. I've put it in the DCIM folder and out and still no dice. Please enlighten me as to where I'm going wrong. Thanks everyone!

-Mike

2. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    1) There has been no firmware update for the G10 body.

2) I've been able to update lens firmware on my G10 body. I did have trouble once, because I skimmed the instructions too fast and neglected to hit the Play button. You need to insert the SD card, power the camera on, then hit the Play button (as if you were viewing photos). You should then see the "Start Version Up?" prompt.

Hope that helps.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    At least the Panny instructions tell you to hit Play. I've never had a problem with the Olympus update, but I happened to notice that their instructions don't tell you anywhere that you have to hit OK to go into storage after you plug in the camera. They just say to plug it in, but the computer won't read it until you hit OK, lol.

4. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    I.... am an idiot. you know what I figured out?

You can't install firmware for a lens you don't own, let alone one that's not installed on your body... trying to install firmware for the 14-140 zoom lens on a camera with a 14-42 zoom is not gonna work every single time.

got it done now. Thanks for the advice, Karl.

5. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Enjoy the G10. It's an under-appreciated but great little camera.