1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware Update - Olympus Body, Panasonic Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D@ne, Feb 24, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Excuse my noobness...I've read through many threads and just want to confirm that I can use the Olympus software on my computer to update the firmware on my Panasonic lens.

I only ask because I had a firmware-update nightmare on the camera body (computer went to sleep, camera bricked...something along those lines). New lens is from eBay, so no option for return if I mess it up.

Many thanks in advance and once again, apologies for the repeat-question.

2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Yes - it works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Four-Thirds uses a "Joint Update Service" which includes, Olympus, Panasonic, and third parties like Sigma, in both Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds mounts. How you access these updates of course is a different though on an Olympus or Panasonic body.

Out of curiosity, was it an E-PM1 that you bricked, and at what stage was the firmware update (ie, did you have the blank screen on the camera while downloading, or did you have the diagrams on the camera screen while the camera was directly being updated before the OK sign)? Were you able to return it to the store?

I actually just updated 3 bodies a couple days ago, two E-PM1s and one E-PL2. I'd been hesitating because of my sketchy internet (all three updates were approximately 50MB each), but I'm glad I did it because one of my cameras desperately needed that software re-write. I'm curious though how safe it is to for instance to lose internet during the downloading process. It doesn't seem like the Updater ties into the camera until the download is complete now, but I could be wrong (and I don't want to find out the hard way).

• Like Like x 1
  4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Absolutely - I've updated my 14mm and 20mm just fine with my E-PL1 on my mac with zero issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Many thanks for the responses!

Ned - I'm not sure at which point the firmware failed, or even what caused it. I left it to do its thing and when I returned, the computer was asleep and the camera was off and would not turn back on. It was purchased at a big box store, and as you can imagine, the response I received upon exchanging it was that of a blank stare. They decided the battery was faulty once they tested it and I didn't argue (does that make me a bad person?)

6. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca