Firmware Update for EP5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Lordjim, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Lordjim

Lordjim New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Montreal
    Does anyone know whether a firmware update is planned for the EP5? Silent shutter and red focus peaking would be great additions to the camera.

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    It's highly unlikely. There were a couple of firmware updates a while back, but it's been radio silent for well over a year.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Also not sure they will do any or much more on the E-P5. other than if they find a lens compatibility issue maybe. Still doesn't change it from being one heck of a camera. Had one a while back and was VERY tempted by the recent sales.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I was very surprised when EP5 got zero second antishock option in 2014 and EM5 didn't.
    But I wouldn't hold my breath for another miracle.

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Maybe when they announce the newly designed PEN camera next year they'll give us E-P5 owners a few new features mentioned by the OP? I hope so! I would love a better color selection for focus peaking and silent shutter would be fantastic as this was introduced as a street photographers camera, or that's the impression I got. If the E-P5 has EFC for 0 sec. anti-shock doesn't that mean its' shutter could be all electronic? It seems I'm asking more questions than posting answers.
    Bobby :coffee-30:

• Like Like x 1
  6. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    if olympus is smart, they'll release more firmware updates for the pen line. these aren't cheap cameras and they should support them like their other flagship models, imo. i think this is a line of cameras that creates a following so having a fuji approach could support that kind of loyalty.

• Like Like x 1
  7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

TBH if they're not doing it for the PL7 and EM10 which were already on Truepic 7 I personally would not expect them to go and do it for the Truepic 6 EP-5. Possibly there are actual hardware/fixed fuction bits that go with that revision that just aren't present on it. E-M1 was the first with it IIRC?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lordjim

Lordjim New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Montreal
    Thank you all for your answers. Very informative. I think Olympus killed its great Pen line by overpricing the EP5. Great camera but overpriced upon release. Now for 399CAD, it is a steal.

9. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    the ep5 was pricey upon release, but i wouldn't say it was overpriced. on top of the great specs, they really built the hell out of it. it's easily the best feeling mirrorless camera i've ever held short of a leica. it's not only a great weight, but a great weight for its size. and it's a great performer, a really fantastic camera. i love it and hope olympus don't ruin/cheapen the design and don't try to make it even smaller and thinner. i could even stand for it to be a bit bigger and corresponding increase in weight such that solid feel. the only tweak i'd like to make is to add weather sealing and maybe an evf depending on how that changes the overall design.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I don't know if lack of software updates is to encourage me to get a newer model. If so then, based on the current Oly lineup, it's not going to work. This is a quality camera and for me there's an emotional attachment, a bit like my Dad's old Volkswagen Beetle from back in the day. It's not going to be easily discarded for the latest m43 thingy out there.

• Like Like x 1