1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware update for E-M10 plus 40-150 2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chargedmr2, Apr 30, 2015.

1. chargedmr2

chargedmr2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    I realize that most owners of the 40-150 2.8 probably use it with the E-M1, but have any E-M10 users updated yet? Supposedly firmware version 1.2 has improved the autofocus for the 40-150 2.8. Just curious.

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I installed 1.2 just before I received my 40-150 f/2.8, so I don't know how it worked without the update. With the update, I'm very pleased. The lens is almost always on my camera.

3. chargedmr2

chargedmr2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks for the comments Harvey. I also have 1.2 and sometime I have trouble getting the 40-150 to focus effectively. The issue only occurs when going from minimum focus distance to distances that are substantially further out. My E-M10 will lock focus even though nothing in the viewfinder is even close to being in focus. Repeated attempts produce the same result. Once focus is in the right vicinity, there is no problem at all. It doesn't seem to be a lighting issue, or even a lack of contrast issue. The lens simply doesn't want to "look" farther out sometimes when the last focus point was very close. I wonder if others using the latest firmware have this trouble. Almost forgot to mention, but this is with the TC attached. As I recall, I was also having the issue without it attached. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but when it happens it can be really frustrating (sometimes I switch to manual focus to get the focus distance in the right area and then switch back to auto focus).

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have to do the same thing. I notice it most often trying to focus very close on flowers. I switch to manual and I can usually nail the focus.

5. chargedmr2

chargedmr2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Interesting. I wonder if another firmware update could resolve this. Good to know that it's not unique to my lens/camera.