Firmware update for 22 April E-Px AF speed.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mtlshop, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mtlshop

mtlshop New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2010
    New firmware for Pen series!!!

Seems very promising. Source from gizmodo.com

The greatest criticism of the Olympus E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1 has undoubtedly been their autofocus speed. But a new firmware update increases AF speeds across these models by a promised minimum of 15%—that's using any lens you like.

Two other updates come to just the E-P2 and E-PL1: those using the electronic viewfinder will be able to simultaneously playback images on the built-in display, and continuous autofocus tracking (which follows a subject and keeps it in focus) will track subjects more accurately. Solid updates for sure. [Olympus]

OLYMPUS FIRMWARE UPDATE IMPROVES AUTOFOCUS PERFORMANCE FOR PEN SERIES CAMERAS: E-P1, E-P2 AND E-PL1

CENTER VALLEY, Pa., April 15, 2010 – Olympus today announces the release of new firmware that improves auto focus performance for still images and high-definition (HD) video recording for the Olympus PEN E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1 cameras. The firmware update will also enable the menu and recorded image to be displayed on the E-P2 and E-PL1 LCD while the VF-2 electronic viewfinder is in use.

The firmware update improves the autofocus speed for the E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1's still image capture with all Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses. In addition, the update improves auto focus tracking in continuous auto focus (C-AF) mode when shooting movies and using the new M. Zuiko Digital™ ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 and M. Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 lenses. These lenses are Olympus' first movie and still [picture] compatible (MSC) lenses and are optimized to achieve accurate and silent auto focus while shooting HD videos.

"This firmware update makes the popular PEN series cameras even more functional for photo enthusiasts and movie-makers alike," said John Knaur, senior marketing manager, PEN & E-System, Olympus Imaging America Inc. "The improved auto focus speed will make it even easier to capture outstanding, high-quality images and HD videos."

The new firmware will be available on Olympus' Web site starting on April 22, 2010. Click on the following link to learn more about the update and gain access to the firmware updater application: http://www.getolympus.com/penupdate.

The M. Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 lens will be available in May 2010, and the M. Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 lens will be available in June 2010.

• Like Like x 22
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Found this on Digital Camera Review. Sorry if its old news.

Olympus announces a new firmware update today for its Digital PEN Micro Four Thirds cameras, the E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1. The new firmware aims to increase auto focus performance. Among other improvements, Olympus claims that the update will increase auto focus speed of all PEN cameras by 15%.

LINK1.

LINK 2:

• Like Like x 10
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Looking good Bill, thanks for the update.

Interesting the two new upcoming lenses (mZD 14-150mm and mZD 9-18mm) are described as Movie Still Compatible... silent focusing for video suggests silent wave motor technology - hopefully fast focusing!

Cheers

Brian

4. topkop

topkop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Oberlin, OH
    Haven't had any problem with the autofocus speed on the E-PL1, but any improvement is always good!

Thanks for the news, Bill!

5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks B.

ps. nice glass you got there :smile:

6. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    OMG I think I'm going to cry T_T

7. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    This news also made me smile when I first read it... though I'm still wishing for changes in MF mode i.e from 10x zoom, go back to 1x once the shutter is half pressed:wink:

...and its good that they can still improve the auto focus speed with software and without changing mechanical parts.

8. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    That is GREAT news! Thanks for posting

9. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 25, 2010
    London
  10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Well, fortunately Link 2 that Bill posted gives a positive take on it.

Thank you Bill!:2thumbs:

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm actually not happy about this, LOL. I was hoping for an inexpensive zoom lens for the camera. Looks like the 14-150 will be around 600 bucks. I might just get me an adapter and get a FT version instead, for around half the price.

Dj

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I have the 14-150 for 4/3rds Dj, it cost me almost £900... worth every penny.

Cheers

Brian

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I haven't seen that lens. I was refering to the OLY 18-180 which can be had for ~400 US dollars. I've never seen the 14-150.

14. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well, I'm getting my pre order in for that 14-150 as it would be the perfect travel lens, and aid in better movies as well. From the few test previews of it it apparently focuses near instant and dead quiet, so I can live with that. I just hope the overall corner sharpness is better than the current kit lens. It's not bad but its not up to upscale performance levels either. The wider 9-18 is interesting but I don't need that as badly. Depends on how the $$ holds up, perhaps I'll pop for both and be done with it. The problem with these releases is they announce it, then there's a several month wait. I prefer to have it announced, then ship in 2 weeks :tongue: What am I complaining about...I got fortunate to get in on the only small shipment of VF-2's that Olympus got a week ago. Nobody else still even has it here in the U.S. So I'm basically a happy camper.

15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Very true dcisive.:wink::biggrin:

I'm very interested in both of these, though the old pocketbook won't be opening quite wide enough to support an order for the two. Definitely looking forward to hearing more.

16. e.besana

e.besana Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Tarrytown, NY
    Has anyone tried the new firmware yet? I'm think about installing it tonight. I'm in the electronics industry and typically when firmware gets updated there can be some changes that are unanticipated by the end user and/or unreviewed by software QA.