Firmware Update for 12-35 lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, May 14, 2013.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

2. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Wasabi Bob does jidder happen with ois off, because I normally use the Om-d's ibis instead. Not for Om-d users?

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's what I know

I personally never experienced it, but there were about 6 people who posted video on line of this problem. As it was described (even with OIS off) there was a minor horizontal jitter to video when the camera was aimed downwards, ~ 45 degrees. In some cases you had to zoom in on the video to see it, on others it was obvious at full screen.

One posting I found about a month ago posted a few photos taken with a 3-5 second exposure. Assuming he was using a tripod, you could definitely see the photo was not as sharp as it should have been. The type of jitter described above could also probably cause this end result.

I called Panasonic and they indeed confirmed the condition. They also told me that it was not present in every 12-35 lens. I installed the new firmware in my 12-35 purely as a precautionary measure.

Since this problem occurred with the OIS OFF, you raise a good question. Honestly, I don't know. See if you have the problem. If you do, install it and let us know.

4. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    sweet!! this is great news. I just ordered one of these :)

5. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Just saw the news on DPR. I'm glad Panasonic stepped up and released a firmware fix. I wonder if anyone's been able to test it out yet.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Be advised that there's a good chance you'll need to do the firmware update when it arrives. :) It's a fabulous lens - I think you'll be very pleased. :thumbup:

7. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    any news about the update? someone at the dpreview-article-comment had experienced better IBIS prior to the update, strange

8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
  9. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The jitter is bad on my 12-35. Ibis/ois whether on or off doesn't matter. Camera angle doesn't even matter. Went back and noticed it on some other videos too. Bummer as they say. I'll charge up the battery and hope the firmware fixes it.

10. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Post update....update:

Solid as a rock, real nice. Will do more tests though because it stopped jiddering for the most part earlier for some reason.

11. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    great to hear