Firmware 3.1 for E-M1 in June.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 14, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    According to Austrailian sources.

SYDNEY – 12 May 2015
    Olympus Corporation is pleased to announce that a new camera firmware for the flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1 will be available in June 2015. Version 3.1 firmware update, adds new functionality for advanced underwater and starscape photography. Firmware Version 1.2 for the E-M5 Mark II, will be simultaneously launched that provides similar improvements for underwater photography. The new Underwater Picture Mode enables significantly better user control over key camera settings for underwater photography. The
    separate wide and macro underwater (UW) picture modes of earlier firmware versions are replaced by this single ‘unified’ picture mode. In addition to white balance, exposure, and flash compensation you can now adjust aperture and shutter speed in the P/A/S/M exposure settings for enhanced control of imaging results. This dedicated picture mode helps capture underwater photos with the perfect balance of vivid colours and natural underwater blue hues. A higher visibility Live View setting, “LV Boost II” has been added to the
    OM-D E-M1 for improved visibility through the Electronic Viewfinder or LCD screen for night sky or starscape photography. This setting can be applied to the Live Composite or the manual exposure modes. These new firmware updates have been timed to coincide with the launch of the M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f2.8 PRO and M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f1.8 Fisheye PRO lenses that have been long awaited by underwater and night sky photo enthusiasts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Interesting, as a diver, I am curious, though I don't yet have my housing, so...

I'll keep my old firmware for now. If I'm going to have to set up the hwole camera again, it may as well be for a good reason.

Z...

3. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    The reset of the camera settings was done for just one single major version upgrade. The say nothing about it happening with this minor upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Woo, LV Boost II! Should make a big difference for my f/3.5 Samyang.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I for one am looking forward to it purely for use with flash and normal lenses... I hope they allow binding it to a button to toggle it on and off though... that's one thing which has always frustrated me.

6. wjiang

Ah, that too. I actually have a combined MySet for these two situations... both full manual, with LV Boost and AF illuminator enabled (for when I really need to AF).

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    There's one trick I've learned to use with adapted lenses which don't have aperture control (or when shooting wide open) which is to use DoF preview which will toggle boost on... I also used a MySet however it's frustrating changing every setting when I only want to change that single one, often resulting in forgetting to toggle it off.

Sounds like a few refinements are being added though, I've previously submitted feedback to Olympus about this issue it's just hard to tell if it ever gets to someone who has anything to do with it... I'm not holding my breath.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Can't wait for the new firmware and the 7-14 for night photography!

9. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Please explain.

The 'INFO' for LV Boost says...'When On, exposure compensation effects are not visible in the monitor'

How does that help with your Samyang, I also have the same lens.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think it will be worth it just for the following.

11. Ross the fiddler

I would think it only helps when manually stopping down & being able to see the subject in low light to be able to get it in focus.

12. Ross the fiddler

Not much interest was shown in the UK? http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37722 Maybe they thought the info was coming from a transported convict! :hmmm: :wink:

13. wjiang

When I use my 7.5mm at night outside, it's often too dark at f/3.5 to see anything without LV boost.

Is not really specific to that lens though. In general, if it's too dark for a lens wide open to get a normal exposure above a certain shutter speed, live exposure preview completely breaks down. Metering still works, but the preview is too dark to judge exposure, focus, and often even for composition. In that case I prefer it to boost to a level so that I can at least focus and compose with.

I'm not sure why you can't just set a boost level, rather than having two boost modes, but it will be better than nothing.

14. jaclu

jaclu Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2014
    Boost is essential when shooting flash, (unless your just fill-flashing) without it you get an all dark EVF

15. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hhhmm.. You may be right...

Z...