Firmware 1.7 for OM-D & PEN (1.4) posted today

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by nstelemark, Jun 12, 2013.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Ver.1.7 OM-D
    (Jun. 12, 2013)
    Supported VF-4 electronic view finder.
    * Automatic display switching by the eye sensor is not supported.
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Having an E-M5, I'll pass on this one unless someone finds something else that might be better in the 1.7 update besides the VF-4 use. I would like the newer AF algorithms of the E-P5 that is supposed to improve the AF speed with some 4/3's lens with anything else being unlikely, which would be kept for the next OM-D.
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Sorry for the negative spin but typical Olympus firmware update, only reason they even did it was on the slight chance of extra VF-4 sales, doesn't add any "value" to the OM-D.
  4. Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2013
    Video updated?

On the OM-D, has the video been updated also, as I don't remember the 'fine' option, but then I never use video, so may have missed that. Also, the IS is silent when turned off, but I seem to remember it always making noise on v1.6 when turned off and the shutter button pressed half way? Maybe my previous update never installed corectly?
  5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Why in the heck update the OMD for an external VF????

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  6. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    The "fine" option for video (both 1080p and 720p) was there from the beginning. Also my IS was making noise only after half pressing the release button since v1.6 (otherwise silent). Thus, no real changes besides EV-4 support (and who in the world whoul want that on OM-D???).
  7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I do!

Well, I don't really. But it's tip up possibility would help. I was recently deep in the long grass shooting slightly upwards, and the sun was shining right on the flip out screen which was also parly obscured by long grass and both hands were on the camera and lens. This made edge framing guesswork. If I could have looked down into an tipped up EVF it would have been easy.

But apart from that, never!
  8. bhooshaniyer

bhooshaniyer New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2012
    Bangalore, india

Last week I was headed for a photo trip where I focussed on long exposures using my OM-D and 11-22, 17 & 75. On the even of the trip, I updated to this firmware version(1.7) from 1.51 last week - mind you I did not have an option to update to 1.6. I updated because I wanted the goodness of the long exposure bug fixed in 1.6. Firmware updated and trip undertaken, cutting to the chase, the firmware sucked. I had new bugs introduced which wore me down.

Play back issues. Plenty. Slow.

When reviewing images in camera, if you zoom out, the pictures used to get reduced to thumb nail size earlier. It used to be a fantastic way to navigate through a large set of same day images as you could just scroll down the thumbnail rather than flip through the 100% photos. This seems to be not working in my camera anymore. If I zoom out using my thumb dial, the photo recedes to give way to date-wise folder structure rather than thumbnail collection. If i turn the dial the other way, it zooms in ok...but when I zoom out, it goes down upto to 100% of LCD size...if I reduce further, it goes to date-wise folder config. Also the scrolling is now much slower. Also when I use my fore finger(horizontal grip's dial) dial to scroll images, its getting increasingly tiresome as the shutter gets activated by the slightest touch.

Anyone knows if I am missing a setting here?

Anyone knows how to go back to an older firmware?

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia

Just 'cuz. :rolleyes: The VF4 does have a higher res and it supposedly has a really big visible area. To remind myself of this, I look through my old Pentax SP500 (Low end Spotmatic) to remember how big those old SLR viewfinders looked.
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Try going to Menu *D [+]/Info Settings. Go the third one down [+] Settings & select (scroll the front dial across) & you will probably find some of those options are OFF. Turn them all on & it should be back to normal for you again.

I hope that helps. :drinks:
  11. bhooshaniyer

Sep 9, 2012
    Bangalore, india

Hell, yeah that certainly helped! So that was that was for?! I thought those were composition grid lines and left it alone! Man, that one drove me crazy!

12. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    was that the only issue for you? what else changed?
  13. bhooshaniyer

Sep 9, 2012
    Bangalore, india
    Generally did not like the firmware update. Felt like it slowed things down. Playback review seemed slower. The camera generally seemed sluggish. And I am a fairly long time Olympus user, so I think this is not a good update. 1.51 was ok. Never had the chance to update 1.6 but 1.7 seems like a let down, in general.