Fireworks

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jello212, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    We spent July 4th on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. From our condo, we could see several shows that different towns were hosting. Unfortunately, I left my tripod at home so I had to use the railing to support the camera. So, some of them are a little less sharp than others.

All with the G1 & 45/200 lense.

Atlantic Beach's show
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salter Path's show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Oh, jello, I am jealous! We love the Outer Banks of NC and usually get down every summer for a family vacation...to Frisco, which is way down... I often think about moving there, or near there.

Fireworks can be very difficult and I think even without your tripod you've done well. Love the way they seem to be exploding from that series of high buildings. I'm guessing you were up more in the Kitty Hawk area?

3. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Actually, we were in the Southern OBX. Indian Beach between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle to be exact. To set the picture, the island is about 20 miles long and about 1/2 mile wide at some points. The condo is in the center of the island.

From our condo, we could see fireworks in Atlantic Beach (10 miles to East), Emerald Isle (10 miles to West), Indian Beach (1/4 mile N), as well as numerous fireworks shows on the mainland. Unfortunately, I had no shot of the Emerald Isle or the mainland fireworks with the railing.

I agree, the ones from behind the building are the best. That side of the building had a lot more light, so I was able to speed up the shutter and minimize the risk of vibrations on the railing. The ones from Atlantic beach were from 10 miles away with no lighting on that side - so they were 15 & 30 second exposures which really opened the door for vibrations.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thanks for the details, Jello! I don't know that area and will have to check it out on the map.

5. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam