Firefox 4 final is released.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by bilzmale, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

After betas and RCs the final version is now available. I've been using it for a while and it is improved in many ways.

Full details and Download link:

• Like Like x 1
  2. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Just got the upgrade from Opensuse a couple of days ago still i have to get used to the interface , my main browser is Chromium at the moment.

3. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I've been using FF since the first beta and enjoyed it until now. I don't like FF4, I am going to switch to Chrome full time now.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was giving FF4 a go the other night but I wasn't really convinced. Safari 5 is definitely faster at loading pages. I'm not sure how Safari and Chrome compare.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Firefox 4 froze up twice and I didn't dig some of the changes.....and it was definitely slower (on my admittedly ancient machine). Reverted back to 3.6 or whatever. Newer is certainly not always better.

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Well, wouldn't ya know I loaded up 4.01 and crashed.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've found some odd behaviour with 4.01 too but still faster then 3.6 for me.

8. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

If your running Linux 64, you'll have to wait until FF 6 to see the speed benefit that Win users are enjoying now. Something to do with GCC 4.5. FF 6 should be out in August, I guess they're upping the release rate, FF 5 beta is out now with FF 5 scheduled for June 21.

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    If you're subscribed to the nightlies, you benefit from the optimizations now.

Honestly, I tested it and there's a speedup, notably the latency in the GUI has benefited from differential compilation optimization, but nothing to really brag about. Stable FF4.0.1 is a safer choice for day to day browsing.

It's nice to have, but not game changing (whereas switching from 3.x to 4.x is a real fundamental improvement).

Cheers,

10. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

Good to know, I think I can wait for my Distro's to release it.

11. So is the conensus that we should maybe wait for a version 4.1 before upgrading?

12. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    It depends on where you come from. If you're using FF3.6 at the moment, FF4 is really an improvement. But if you've already made the switch, there's no reason to live on the edge and upgrade to the development branch.

Most people experiencing problems are those who didn't flushed their old profile when they upgraded to FF4.

I also tested chromium and safari, but they both have their own issues, especially chromium under linux (strange font rendering etc.)

Cheers,

13. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    What does this mean?

14. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

The user profile is where FF keeps all your bookmarks, cookies, addons, etc. Flushing it means clearing or deleting it. Basically if you upgrade you keep your old profile, but if you uninstall your old FF and install the new 4.01 version, it will create a new user profile for you.

I have installed FF 4.01 with Ubuntu 11.04 Unity using the same /home directory as the rest of my OS's and it used my old profile without any problems. I also upgraded a Win7 laptop's FF to 4.01 without incident.

The choice is yours, but if it was me and I was using win7, I'd upgrade. I haven't had a freeze on the win7 upgrade yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    I recently installed 2 pc on ubuntu with Unity (11.04 ) I still maintain that
    Google chromium is better due to the fact that it has FFmpeg codec built-in hence all versions of Html5 video can be watched with firefox it is limited to ogg theora. Concerning bugs i have not used FF long enough to say if it is bugged.
    If i had to rate the browsers:

1 google chromium

2 mozilla FF

3 opera 11

16. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Not only. FF can read WebM natively too, and now, 80% of Youtube is WebM. For mpeg & h264, mplayer is what's best on linux, especially ressource-wise, or VLC if you prefer a more integrated GUI.

Chromium is quite nice, there are good things in it, but FF has a much larger eco system of useful plugins and add-ons. They don't compare for advanced use.

Cheers,