Firefall at Yosemite this year?

acnomad

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy
Does anyone know if Horsetail Fall is flowing well enough this year for the Firefall phenomenon to be seen?

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
I was there last week and it had so much snow and very cold.
I took a close up of Horsetail Falls and you can see there is very little flow, furthermore in the past week it was still snowing a lot. However, it looks like Monday would be the best day to go since it will be sunny and hopefully it will get warmer and melt more snow.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

acnomad

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy
@Nam-in-Sonoma: did you make it to the Yosemite Valley yesterday? I'm strongly considering booking flights and lodging for the upcoming weekend and would LOVE to know if anyone has seen that there is enough flow at Horsetail Fall to see the spectacle.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Someone I met this weekend was there this past week, and said there was no flow in the morning but a good amount in time for the sunset.
He had a nice pic on his phone that showed two ribbons of water.

acnomad

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy
So I didn’t end up going - seemed too much of a long shot based on weather and reports of lower flow. I saw on FM someone got an image with just a bit of the orange glow, but he mentioned that it was unpleasantly crowded.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
So I didn’t end up going - seemed too much of a long shot based on weather and reports of lower flow. I saw on FM someone got an image with just a bit of the orange glow, but he mentioned that it was unpleasantly crowded.
Yeah, I heard crowded and a 3-mile trek through fresh snow... They closed all roads in the valley except for park staff and those who have a handicap parking permit (plus chains I suppose).

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Apparently, it was indeed visible at times in February.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/firefall-yosemite-2019-trnd/index.html

but he mentioned that it was unpleasantly crowded.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom