Fire TV; Stream pictures over network

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by -Dan-, Mar 1, 2015.

1. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    We've had an Amazon Fire TV for quite a while and it serves the purpose we bought it for very well. We would like to "stream" pictures from one of our network storage devices in our local network onto the TV through an app; however, I simply can't find anything online or app store. Is there anything out there for none Amazon Prime members? I know you can use Amazon Cloud as a Prime member but I wasn't planning to add that subscription.

Thanks for your help!
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Amazon prime gives you unlimited Photo storage for free (not videos though). So if you can stream them off the cloud, that sounds like a nice solution. I've used flickr app on my Roku for something similar.

I know this is low tech, but you can also just fill a memory card and use your camera as the media player on slideshow mode. Most BluRay players will slideshow a DVD full of pics, too. Sometimes getting all that streaming and cloud crap going is more trouble than it is worth (And I'm an I.T. guy!). It has also been my experience that full size images load slowly over wi-fi, even from local computers. It's maybe 4-5 seconds per image. That sounds quick, but when you are going through 50 images, it means it takes an extra few minutes to get through the slideshow. So you also want to make sure to downsize your folder of pics for TV viewing to the TV resolution
  3. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Maybe - what is the make/model of your network storage device. If it supports the installation of Plex ( then Amazone Fire TV will connect to a plex server. Depending on the network server it may not do movie transcoding, but picture streaming should be OK.
  4. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Unfortunately the luck I have, Plex is not supported for my hardware, just checked the website.

The function of Amazon Cloud would be fine outside of the fact that I would have to add $100 subscription and upload pictures there, i'm not interested in movies.
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Misunderstood that you already had Prime, sorry.

Quick search shows these apps available for Fire TV.

Looks like you can find a viewer for most of the photo sharing sites. You could use something like Google Drive, Skydrive, or Flickr as your cloud.