1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fire in the Night

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Crdome, May 6, 2012.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Scenes from firing a large wood-burning kiln which be tended aroung the clock for three days of firing. These were shot with my GH2 using a Konica 28/1.8 and Cosmicar 22.5-90/1.5 c-mount. This grouping are all Konica, I will post Cosmicar later.

[/img] 175_Jeff_U309_118sm.

180_jeff_feeds_17_114sm.

055_Chimney_28_181_255_sm.

058_3_125_side_portal_sm.

192_desaturate_21_111_213sm.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi.

What was being done here ?

3. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    This is a wood-burning kiln which fires between 800 and 1200 pieces of pottery at a time. The firing time is 3 days, the cooling 5 days. Temperature of above 2400 F must be maintained during this time. The fire is stoked every 15-20 minutes. It is an amazing sight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

An interesting shot might be one of the entire contents of the kiln when they are cooled. Plus it would satisfy my intense curiosity as to what you all make. :biggrin:

5. nueces snapper

I notice you seem to have stacked up bricks for a door to the fire chamber? Seeing as how you are constantly adding more wood wouldn't an old cast iron furnace door help you out a lot? :smile:

6. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Kiln and it's contents

Thanks for your questions. the kiln isn't mine. It has a hinged brick door which is reflective which allows the temperature to remain constant. Iron would radiate the heat out . I would love to be present to the opening and emptying but I'm swamped at work this week. Here is there website that shows the open kiln and some of their products. They also make enormous pots up to 40" or larger.

Unzicker Bros. Pottery

. Iron would althe hole viewed is door>

• Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

Cool. Thanks for that link. It warms the ventricles of my heart to know that a small business like that actually still thrives in my country. Truly. :2thumbs:

8. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    They fire 2-3 times/year. I find the proposition scary as hell. The the possibility of a catastrophic firing event is minimal, the potential to loose a half year's production must be incredibly stressful. Jeff and Tom work 6 hour shifts during the 3 day firing.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    What advantage does a wood burning kiln have over gas?

10. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Ash, which adds an aesthetic quility to the glaze finish!

As the flame moves through a wood fired kiln, it deposit ashes. As the ashes melt on the surfaces of the pots they land on, they form a shiny, mottled green to amber glaze called "kiln glost". This kiln glost would mainly develop on the rims and shoulders of the pottery since those were the surfaces most likely for the ash to settle.

Kiln design and the firing methods really impact how much ash is deposited onto ware and where on the pots it is deposited. Fly ash (ashes that are deposited onto the ware during a wood firing) will result in glazes on pot rims, shoulders, and possibly on the side of the pot facing the draft as the flame moves through the kiln.

Wood ash is an alkaline containing widely variable amounts of silica, alumina, potash, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and other trace elements. Roughly speaking, ashes from softwoods are higher in fluxing agents (ergo more fluid), and oaks and willow ashes contain more phosphorus, which effects translucence.

Source:Ash Glazes on Pottery - What Are Ash Glazes on Pottery

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Cool, I'll be looking for wood fired kiln products next time I go pottery shopping.