Fire in Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by ahuyevshi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Saw some billowing smoke from the side of the road and obviously I headed towards it then away... Grabbed the E-P2 and my Leica and walked right up... I love the E-P2 for PJ type work, small and unassuming. I was able to get right up to action armed with a 28mm on the E-P2 and a 50mm on the M6 and an expired 2009 NYPD press pass. I wish I would of had flash for some of these, but whatever...I have sent a bunch to a few editors I have worked with.

There were 5 engine houses involved in this brush fire that originated in Brooklyn, NY around 2PM EST.

2. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Wow! Fantastic series there - I would have been proud to have shot these.

The 4th one and the last one in particular are very moving.

Well done!
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Good going, Boris. You seem to be right there for these kinds of photographs...remembering some of your shots from the big storms.

Just went back to check in on your PAD blog to see if one of these was that one in there. You've got some really strong photos in here. I find seeing them all in a row kind of takes away from their individual power, however I understand and appreciate it that you didn't want to do a separate post for each one. I'm hoping they're on your Flickr page, too so I can view them in their fullness.
  4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Great series - good luck on the $ front

Can I be a "fire fighter" when I grow up!
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Very impressive reporting serie. Hope you sell it, it's worth it.
  6. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks guys... Like a dumbass I ran out without my viewfinder... Focusing was near impossible with all the smoke and water.... Don't really care about some money off them, would like to be able to get at least one published so I motivate myself to go renew my press pass.. NYC is too bureaucratic when it comes to permits..
  7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I really like the last one as there are a number of other ways to look at it, (cropped views)
  8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    nice group of images , firefighting is drama personified,

i thought the b&w image verging on surreality, with the tall grass and misty horizon of a gentle landscape merging with the technology and art of firefighting .
  9. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks all....... This is the type of work that gets a rise out of me.... I guess I'm just lazy....