1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Finding the Sunset

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

All of my wife's friends love their sunset pictures - - - and hardly a week goes by where I don't get someone asking me to look at the "amazing" picture they took of the sunset. I follow my wife's Instagram feed, and sunset and sunset are posted.

I love looking at sunsets. I love sitting on the beach and watching the sun go down. I love taking Love Story or other Portrait images on the beach and making use of the golden hour light right after the sun goes down. But I don't often take a photograph of a sunset.

A few days ago, I was enjoying some relaxation along the Pacific Ocean - as I try to do most every week - - - and as the sun started to lower, the cameras and phones of tourists and locals alike, raised to the sky. People sitting beside me were excited and showing everyone in view their treasure - and seeing that I had a camera (which I wasn't using for that content) they began showing me also.

I tried to be gracious and took a quick peek. Then I decided to raise my camera to the sky in front of me and see if I could find something that would be more interesting. I took these 2 views - one with the sea being low in the frame for a graphic element - and the other shooting through the picket fence in front of my chair.

I then showed the people who were engaging me, and asked what they thought. They liked what they saw. So I suggested that they look for interesting views, foreground and other content when finding the sunset. Whether it will change their way of taking such pictures - I have no idea - but they do have some new insight.

Where I would not be one to print and frame a shot of a sunset to put on my wall - - - I think that I could do so with either of these for their strong graphic elements and some additional blurring and toning.

300mm focal length with exposure set to minus 2 stops to intensify the sky. Olympus Pen at 200 ISO

[​IMG]
    © 2013 Robert Watcher

80mm focal length. Olympus Pen at 200 ISO. I took 2 shots with the same viewpoint - one with the fence in focus and one with fence blurred out and sky in focus. Using the longer focal length length, my intension was to combine the sharp image of the fence, with the sharp image of the sky, in Photoshop. However once I opened the images on my computer, I preferred the mystery of the sunset left out of focus - and all of the little edges and cobwebs and slivers of the wood fence, featured.

[​IMG]
    © 2013 Robert Watcher