1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Finding Replacement OEM eyecups for the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drewbot, Jun 30, 2012.

1. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Damnit. I've lost my original OEM eyecup for my E-M5.

Does anyone know a source to buy the OEM sized one? I can only see people selling the larger one.

Thanks.

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I think you might be out of luck at the moment...I read (on the Flickr forums I think) that someone lost theirs and contacted Olympus with no luck. :(

I would give Henrys a call and see what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. drewbot

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    That's what I thought. Now I have to spend a week in LA with no eyecup. Argh...

4. mango

mango Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
  5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  6. klarity

klarity Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    I was carrying my E-M5 around Brussels on Monday evening. It was in my pocket an I also had my hand around it. When I withdraw it I noticed that the eyecup had worked loose. This appears to happen really easily - others beware!

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've lost an eyecup. I've order a couple of EP-11, as they seem to be the only thing available. I'm gonna spot glue them in when I install them.

Be aware that if you use a sling strap, the camera hangs lens-out, so the eyecup will rub/hit against your butt. Apparently, the butt wins in this confrontation.

Gary

8. drewbot

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I was definitely sling strapping at Venice Beach yesterday. I didn't even try to find it in the sand...

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

Some EP-11 users have had issues of the rubber tearing and breaking off because it sticks out...if that happened with your glued on eyecup you'd be stuck with a broken eyecup on your camera.

Maybe if you got the EP-10 instead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    In my case I have NO such issues. I'm either transporting it in a very small near form fitted bag (LowePro Apex 110 AW) where it lays sideways with no rubbing, or I use a small topload bag (once again NO rubbing). I don't use a strap for that being just ONE of the reasons I don't like straps. In "some" usage the eyecup may present issues. In my method it never does. I prefer to run safe not sorry.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for the warning, but I said "spot" glue. I think a small spot of glue would provide more benefit than harm. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully, I won't have to hear a "I told you so". I've had far too many of those in my lifetime, so many that now, whenever I hear that phrase, I get this twitch and an unstoppable reflex causing me to make left hand turns.

G

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Possibly a spot of the "glue" that is essentially similar to silicone caulking? Elmer's used to sell it as "household glue" - not their traditional white glue product. Something like that might create a bond that was strong enough and flexible enough to keep the eyecup on the camera without being so permanent that damage could result...

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    These are now in stock at a major NYC retailer...not sure how long they will last. Get 'em while they're in stock. I ordered a pair...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There are still much more non-destructive solutions, Gary. The E-3 always had a problem with eyecups falling off since its inception, and while some glued theirs on I found that completely unnecessary. A thin strip of electrical tape on the inside of the track was all it needed to make an eyecup that never fell off but can still be taken on and off as original. I can't see the E-M5 being any different.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Ned, I'll go there first.

G

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No problema. ;)

17. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I still highly recommend the larger ep-11 for sunny days...but I will admit that when I wore the camera on a sling this weekend, I felt the protruding eyecup hitting my hip quite often, and I was a bit paranoid it was going to pop off. This was never a problem with a standard neckstrap, obviously, but something to watch out for.

I'd like to get a few spare ep-10's when I come across them...unfortunately us Canadian can't order from the US Olympus site, which is the only place (I think?) they're stocked atm.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My EP-11's came in they're affixed with a bit of duct tape in the slide groves ... much less play ... we'll see what happens in the field.

G

19. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Oops

Just looked at my camera sitting here on the desk and noticed the eye piece was crooked. Had been out shooting with it hung around my neck with just a conventional strap. Just its minimal swinging against my chest evidently started it trying to jump off. :rolleyes:

Now where did I put that roll of tape?