Finding photographers for vacations (Paris specifically)

jziegler

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello all,

I'm back on here after a pretty long break. I haven't been focusing on photography as much recently, since I've been busy with my family more.

My family (and a family friend) will be on vacation in Paris this spring. We'd like to find a professional photographer to have a session with, to capture the whole group while we are there. We've done this on a couple of previous trips, but in the one case, we had a friend of a friend who was a photographer to go to. So, has anyone else done this in various locations, and how did you go about finding a good photographer in a foreign country?

I've seen plenty of photographers listed on AirBnb, etc. But it's hard to judge their work with what is presented, and the ones on Air Bnb are mostly charging per person, and with 4 children in the group, that would get expensive, and isn't really adding that much work for the photographer. So, where else should I be looking to find a photographer for Paris?

Real Name
Mel
My wife and I wanted to have a photographer show us the hard to find places and the best lighting for our trip to Ireland. We started by checking websites of photographers offering tours or photo shoots. We were going to be staying all over the Dingle Peninsula so we chose Dingle Darkroom Photography Tours Workshops Holidays in Dingle and we were so very pleased with George. We contacted him as soon as we arrived on Dingle and set the best time and date for our photography session. We met him the day before in his business location in Dingle and we then went out with him way before dawn to photograph places most visitors never see. Beaches, ruins, movie locations, on little one lane roads which would be passed by those who do not know the area. Most of the good photographers will have a web page so feel free to look at it, email with questions so you feel comfortable.

jziegler

Mu-43 Veteran
My wife and I wanted to have a photographer show us the hard to find places and the best lighting for our trip to Ireland. We started by checking websites of photographers offering tours or photo shoots. We were going to be staying all over the Dingle Peninsula so we chose Dingle Darkroom Photography Tours Workshops Holidays in Dingle and we were so very pleased with George. We contacted him as soon as we arrived on Dingle and set the best time and date for our photography session. We met him the day before in his business location in Dingle and we then went out with him way before dawn to photograph places most visitors never see. Beaches, ruins, movie locations, on little one lane roads which would be passed by those who do not know the area. Most of the good photographers will have a web page so feel free to look at it, email with questions so you feel comfortable.
Funny that you talk about Ireland. Out last trip was to Ireland, and that's one of the trips that we had a photographer do a session with us. He was the friend of a friend, so getting that recommendation was much easier. We had 2-3 hours booked with him, and he took us to 5 different locations in western County Cork, most places that I would have never found myself, and one that we might have found, but would not have been able to get access to by ourselves.

That said, next time we're in Ireland (we do want to go back, we were less active than on our previous trips since my wife was pregnant at the time), I'll need to take a look at the photographer you suggested. We really enjoyed Dingle, and there certainly are great places there for photography.

Dingle is a little easier than Paris, just based on the number of potential photographers due to the size. Just searching for Paris photographers on google would give an overwhelming number of people to look at...

Have you tried searching TripAdvisor... looking for photo walks?
We conversed with a couple of photographers in both Venice and Barcelona and they were very good about getting back to us, even knowing we may not be booking (due to us now knowing whether our trip was on or off).

Unfortunately both trips got put off at the time of our conversations. The chap we found in Venice was Marco, and I think the chap in Barcelona was Paulo (I’d have to check back on that one though just to be sure). Neither of these may be of help, except I know both chaps ran walks outside of their homelands.

While others listed on tripadvisor deal with large groups, these two were only individual or (very) small group guides. Both seemed to have excellent knowledge of both photography as well as their home front. Times were flexible as well as was the type of photo walk you wanted. For the two i had been conversing with, the itineraries were to places that would not normally be found or accessed by regular groups, or wandering tourists. Both also offered composition tutelage depending on your level of experience. I look forward to going back to both Venice and Barcelona someday and spending time with both of these guides.

jziegler

Mu-43 Veteran
Forgot to mention... another source might be Tours by Locals.
While not specifically photography related they seem to be very well received and may just have the type of guide you’re looking for.
I have started looking on Tripadvisor, and have found a couple of promising looking companies. I'll probably be contacting at least one to see what they say.

I looked at Tours by Locals, and unfortunately for Paris found nothing that looked like what we wanted (for this), bu it looks like a good site to check for other things, so thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom