Finding a 17mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by OzRay, Jun 1, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been pondering getting a 17mm f2.8 lens to use as a permanent lens on my E-P1, which is currently languishing from lack of use, and making it a kind of knockabout camera. Local prices for this lens are slightly insane, approx US$450+, but finding something outside of Oz isn't looking good. I found this one, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f2.8 Lens WhiteBox+5Gif AU - eBay (item 400120145602 end time Jun-05-10 01:22:16 PDT), but I'm not feeling confident when it says new, but doesn't come in the original box and the fine print reads as follows:

I can't buy from Amazon, as they won't sell lenses for Oz and I'm not going to try and go through the B&H/Adorama credit card dance.

For a lens that doesn't seem to be all that liked, it sure is hard to find.

Cheers

Ray

2. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Have you tried ordering it directly from japan, that is how I got my 7-14

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    You should post on some of the Australian froums like AusPhotography, Whirlpool.net.au, Overclockers and get feedback on CitiWide. They have been around for a while and I know have been discussed on Whirlpool.

The price is good and I would expect that is it an unbundled lens. That's how I got (from Taiwan) my Panasonic 45-200mm for less than half the price it was being sold locally.

4. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I just don't want to join more forums, to ask one question, and likely never return.

Cheers

Ray

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm facing about the same situation here in France ; the 'new' price is insane for a see-through body cap, and there is virtually no 2nd hand market for this item. US prices are much more in line with reality, but shipping is such an expensive hassle it destroys the advantages.

6. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to email me directly!

• Like Like x 2
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I picked up a 17mm with the optical finder for A$350 plus shipping on the 'bay, used but in mint condition. You'll just need to be patient.

Gordon

8. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've bought previously from Adorama, years ago now, and had no issues. But then there was a policy change and I was required to fax copies of my credit card, both sides, before any credit purchases would be accepted. This put me in breach of the terms and conditions of my bank's credit card rules. Giving a credit card number and expiry date is one thing, but revealing full signature etc was basically leaving things open to credit card fraud should the copies fall into the wrong hands.

B&H requires the same. Oddly enough, I've purchaed numerous items from other photo retailers in the US and only had to provide what I'd be required to provide in Australia for any credit card purchase. If things have changed, then I will reconsider, but if these policies still apply, I simply can't purchase via credit card. As much as you want to protect your sales from fraud, I have to also protect my credit card from fraudulent use (I stand to lose much more and with no come back).

Cheers

Ray

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray, give me a buzz...I have the lens and finder I never use anymore....

10. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    We have one but we won't sell it you because we like it so much:rofl:

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    igi, igi,igi....your not being nice.....tsk...tsk!

12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    adorama is a wonderful camera store where i live in in nyc ,

i got my ep1 last june the day they hit ny thanks to a salesman who knew how badly i wanted it, and called me personally and held it while i left work to get it

also got my ricoh gx 200 and cx1 there as well , and fairly priced

ive beem shopping at adorama for 30 years

13. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    As luck would have it, I just bought one and I didn't have to go far. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

14. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Ray I buy a lot of stuff from the US but have a US address with Borderlinx. They then ship to me here in Oz. With (often) free shipping in the US and reasonable rates from Borderlinx it gets over the credit card and 'no sales outside US' problems. It also gives a UK address and lets me buy on eBay as a 'local'.

15. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Now that's a very neat little tool, I'll have to invetigate further. I've wanted to buy some items from the US, but the seller will only deliver to the US.

Cheers

Ray