Finally!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Ever since I got into photography I've been attracted to images made with a 35mm equivalent lens. I love storytelling in photography, and the ability of the classic 35mm to present both a defined subject and tell something of their environment has always seemed perfect for that.

Oddly though, I've never actually owned a 35mm equivalent on digital... I had an SMC-M 35/f2 that I used with B&W on a Pentax MX and LX for a while, and loved it to death. My first ever Micro Four Thirds lens was a Lumix 20mm, but while I loved the perspective, the tactile experience left me numb and the focussing frustrated. After selling that I managed to build up a full set of primes, including all of Olympus' non-macro primes, but my go to lens became the 25mm Voigtländer and the 17mm never made in into my bag.

For the last 12 months I've ummed and ahhed, looking at basically everything on the market, from an RX1, to a 100s, to a D600 + Nikkor, and about a half dozen 'tries' of the Zuiko (my local knows my full name, mobile and email by heart...) but never managed to settle on anything...

Went in today:
    "Is that the first black 17mm I've seen in Tasmania?"
    "Yep."
    "Will you price match?"
    "Yep."

And here she is :smile: I think the EM5 + 17mm + 45mm will make a brilliant little travel trio!

10471041883_a808426520_o.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    When this lens was first announced, I thought it was the lens that I would buy for sure, but the bad reviews gave me pause. Then, I got the 12-35/2.8 and it changed my way of shooting completely, from a 3-prime set: 12mm, 25mm, 45mm to a 2-zoom set: 12-35 & 35-100. After that, the 25/1.4 became my specialty lens for night shooting without flash, while the rest of primes just collect dust. So, the 17/1.8 is still a lens that I want, but don't have any excuse to buy...

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    The lukewarm reviews also gave me pause at first, but everyone I've talked to who actually owns the lens is delighted with it, so that counts for a bit more I think...

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    My favourite focal length, too. I have two: my X100 and the Oly 1.8. I agree about the reviews, but owners, including me, seem happy.

5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I was perhaps hoping for a bit more from this lens (certainly isn't optically as good as the Panasonic 20 and the zone focusing isn't 100%) but it is "35mm" and I definitely wouldn't stop using it.[​IMG]

6. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    that's a beautiful little kit nick - shoot well mate!

(i too LOVED my MX and always lusted for an LX...)

cheers-

w

7. I hope that the 17/1.8 goes at least half as good as it looks

10488102696_8efff90af1_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I always lusted after an LX and eventually got a lovely CLA'd one, but truth me told the MX is definitely the film body I remember fondly. Such a pure experience without batteries :smile:

6746129655_c68ea0c508_o.

3827946981_21699b47e5_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I've been holding off. But the fact that it has scales alone is a very compelling arguement for purchasing this lens. Digital does not necessarily change everything.

Any comment from people who know how to and in fact do use scales as to their implementation and usefulness on the 17? I note that it is a bit crowded, and that where Oly has implemented scales in the past they have been called out as somewhat inaccurate.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Definitely a beautiful lens and the combination has a truly classic look. I'll stick with the 25 - I like shooting in low light and the faster the lens the better. I prefer not to use flash if I can avoid it. Still, for those who prefer the 35mm focal length, this is a great lens.

11. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    This is exactly what I need to do...if I had the bucks!

12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the 17/1.8 and the only real issue I have with it is CA that becomes noticeable in some situations. An expensive solution is the E-M1. It corrects CA in camera when shooting JPGs (regardless of lens brand). A pair of 2.8 zooms and a fast lens is a great solution for decent light levels, but in low ambient light the faster primes are really needed with the high ISO of µ4/3.

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    My dream too! Maybe if I won the lottery? Heck, if I had all that money I'd buy ALL of Panasonics AND Olympus's lenses.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    I was just thinking of that this morning! If I did, too, I may just have my own camera store to play with all the goodies :tongue:

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My past stints as a product reliability engineer makes me have to ask ..."Nice pic of your kit, but is that cord on your leather strap going to last? Looks frayed."

16. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah not convinced... It's fine at the moment, but I'll be watching it closely.

17. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Did you take the picture of the boat? It's totally amazing. Which camera/lens was used?

Attached Files:

18. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Yep, I used the MX/50mm kit pictured

19. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Great shot, but it makes me feel like I'm about to be stabbed!!