Finally ready for a Jupiter 8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, May 13, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Where is the best place to pick one up? I have bought on eBay direct from Russia or the Ukraine with less than stellar results. I was wondering if any oen had any experience with Fedka? They're in the U.S. so in the end their prices are pretty much the same as the cheaper eBay prices when you factor in shipping.

2. traveltrader

traveltrader New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2011
    Are you sure about that? I just checked the Fedka website and those prices seem extremely high to me. $124 for a Fed 3 with a Jupiter 8. I got mine for about $30 shipped. I've bought from Ulkranian and Belerus sellers in the past and everything I got has been exactly as described. Also, there are the occassional US private sellers.
  3. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    I bought a Jupiter 3 from fedka two months ago and was quite pleased with yuri's efforts to communicate before, during and after the purchase, as well as the accuracy of his description.

yes, a bit more expensive than some of the FSU sellers on eBay but you know you'll get a lens in working condition - and if not, yuri will take it back. for me, that was worth the extra cost - and then some.
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I bought an Industar and a Helios 103 from Russian/Ukranian sellers and in each ase the description was not even close to accurate (one "as new" lens was an absolute wreck). Shipping was extra (around $25) and trying to get anything resembling a refund was yes I feel pretty sure that Fedka is not that much more expensive. If they have any sort of guarantee of the item's functionality then I think that would be worth a bit more. Right now they have a Jupiter 8 (used of course) for around $60. That seems pretty much in line with what the eBay resellers are asking.
  5. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    another note on fedka - when I ordered my jup3, the description said it didn't include front or rear caps. fedka had the separate caps for sale so I ordered them along with the lens.

lo and behold, the lens arrives with both original caps AND a hard case. when I realized I had ordered the caps unnecessarily, I emailed yuri to see if I could return them. he gladly took them back and issued a full refund. I doubt you'd get that kind of customer service from the FSU sellers.

6. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, I'm usually dreaming about american shops full of cheap used lens without EU taxes...but $60 for Jupiter 8...I picked mine for about $10-15 and after initial testing I don't think I would pay much more for them...for now I surely prefer my heavily scratched Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f2 from Alan...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Those prices are scary!
    I got mine by bidding on FED and Zorki cameras on e-Bay which just happened to have a lens I wanted. (The lens-only sellers obviously had higher prices since they knew what the target market was doing with them.)
    Got two, at £15 each including postage ... here in Blighty that is.
  8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No matter...I bought a Panasonic 14 so my lens budget is shot for now.
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Got one

Finally bought a Jupiter 8. It's an old silver version made in 1960 (bought from another board member). It's got an...interesting way of rendering. It's not particularly contrasty or sharp but I do find that I like it. The picture below was shot at f5.6 (under exposed just a bit). I think the dramatic late afternoon light helped the contrast.

<a href="" title="P1010164.jpg by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 5841225440_287a1af7eb_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1010164.jpg"></a>

<a href="" title="P1010165.jpg by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 5840687207_20049196d3_b. "768" height="1024" alt="P1010165.jpg"></a>
    • Like Like x 3