1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Finally pulled the trigger on the GH2!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speltrong, Apr 5, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    After a grueling three weeks of research, comparisons and asking around, I finally decided to get the GH2 + 14-42 now that it's down to $750. Igor (E-M5) was a close second, but I couldn't get over the hideous aesthetics (call me shallow), the small EVF magnification or the fact that an articulating screen would better suit my needs than a tilt screen. I picked it over the G3 because I'm a fan of manual controls and don't like dinking with touch-screen menus if I don't have to. I waited until the today's Panasonic announcement to see if the GH3 was even mentioned (it wasn't), so I felt like the time had come.

:yahoo:

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Congrats.

I have a gently used copy on the way. I can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's a great camera. And at today's prices, it's a great buy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I love my GH2. I keep reviewing all the other models and nothing fits my needs as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I've done the research too. You've made the right choice. We need to see and hear the results, man!

Dan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Its a good choice I find it easy to use with plenty of manual controls.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've just been down that exact path and settled for a GH2 to replace my GH1.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    A shot from my recently acquired, last Saturday, GH2 with Pany 14-45.

7041877953_e7e5be37dc_b.
    P1000755-1-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Very happy with mine, just love the eye sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    You will love this camera....it was the best choice for me because I have an interest in video too.....take your time, and learn like the rest of us!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Thanks, I think so too :) FedEx will be dropping it off tomorrow, so I'm sure this weekend will be one giant photo shoot.

Expectations:
    - Photo quality won't be dramatically different from my GF1 except in low light handheld situations (which is fine, because I love the IQ of my GF1)
    - More manual controls, programmable functions and options means I can spend more time shooting and less time digging in menus
    - Articulating screen will finally allow me to compose low-angle ultrawides and fisheyes without having to hedge by doing the "tilt, snap, tilt, snap, tilt, snap, chimp-chimp-chimp repeat" method that's been getting on my nerves. VF will allow for shots with the sun at any angle without having to guess.
    - Less portable than the GF1, but not that big of a deal since getting rid of all my small lenses - better balanced with the 7-14, and now I can rent the 100-300 and use it effectively (it was a nightmare on the GF1).

Excited :)

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The GH2 is a nice camera to use. Lots of switches, dials and buttons with direct access. The EVF is nearly the same size as the VF on my 35mm FF dslr 1Ds. I've even used the articulating screen and 100-300 to take shots of birds just above water level. Just can't do it for long, otherwise I get seasick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    First impressions:
    - I love it.

First few keepers with the GH2 + 7-14mm and PL45

• Like Like x 2
  13. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Gh-2 is good

I just love my GH-2.Advantages over Gf -2 include superior picture, eye piece,folding screen,levers to change various modes. For example you can preset to bracket. Take shots for hdr with no effort. Flip from AC AS and manual focus, change from face recognition to spot to evaluative focus with ease. Combine touch screen with push button and so on. Incredibly flexible.
    Be sure to get some of the single focus lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  14. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Yep, I'm finding all that very useful as well (though I don't shoot people, so I don't need face recognition ;)

I'm very happy with my lens selection so far - the 7-14mm, 7.5mm fisheye and Panasonic-Leica 45mm. The only one that I might like to get in the future (when they release it and I can justify it) is the Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm. Otherwise I feel I'm pretty well covered for what I shoot.

15. jeffbauer

jeffbauer New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2012
    Chicago/LA
    I know I've fallen in love with how customizable the GH2 is. There are adapters for almost every type of lens, and I've been been impressed with the affordable, high quality accessories that become available since it first came out. I'm mostly a video guy so it's by far the best DSLR - type camera I've ever used.

• Like Like x 1
  16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    go win some, and get some new glasses for the GH2. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Love the ergo, control, feelling, free-angle screen, EVF, video shotting ability of GH2 but the color seem a little bit more yellow. Finding best firmware and setting for my GH2.

18. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Finally got to handle the E-M5 (Igor) today at a camera store, and my only regret for getting the GH2 is that I didn't do it sooner. The EVF in the E-M5 didn't feel any better than the one in the GH2 and the ergonomics were all wrong. Getting a camera with a fully articulating screen was the right choice - the tilt on the M5 was kind of fussy and weird.

Anyway, still totally jazzed about the GH2 - even moreso now :)

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

??? R u sure? Ergonomics were totally wrong? I am on other side of the fence . I don't like articulated LCD and ergonomically EM5 Is better . U forgot to mention weather sealing which may not b a deal breaker for but it is for me. Here in Melbourne weather changes a lot during the day u always wanted a sturdy camera ..
    Cheers

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    It'll be great when the EM5 is available in Melbourne (or anywhere else in Oz for that matter) to 'actually' try the thing out regarding ergonomics/size and all the other things.

Just curious Bhupinder where you tried it out, I've got Monday off work i'd love to have a play.
    I was in town yesterday and the fellas behind the counter couldn't give a date as to when it would be available (Teds Cameras Melbourne)