1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Finally ordered a VF-2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AdamThirtle, May 12, 2012.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I have pretty much always wanted a VF-2 and last night I found used one for £100, which is definitely the best price I have ever found it for, so I couldn't resist.

Any users out there using the VF-2 with the E-PM1? How do you like it? Does it feel it adds a lot to the size of the camera? Any pictures of the combo you could share?

Thanks! Adam

2. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    I use mine with my PL3 and find it indespensible. I originally did not like the room it took up in my bag, when it is mounted, but that objection, soon became moot. I am very pleased with the entire MU 4/3' movement. It has certainly jump started my flagging interest in digital photography. Sorry for going off thread.

Happy weekend
    Kanasgowatom

3. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Its worth every penny of it. Here was my former pl1 and now with pl2 its the same pleasure both using for af or even mf

ForumRunner_20120512_220212.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L 2

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I use mine probably 90% of the time (with an E-PL1), it does add a significant amount to the perceived size of the camera and since the E-PM1 is smaller I would think you'd have the same effect. Since it sticks out I usually pop it off the camera when I'm stowing it in the bag instead of leaving it on.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The thirst for a more compact camera is almost all about wanting a camera which is smaller and lighter to pack, not one which is smaller to carry while shooting. Most of us will agree that the one disadvantage of having a small camera is the lack of bulk to hold onto while shooting.

Taking that into account, if you don't keep the VF-2 mounted while in the camera bag, there is always a space left somewhere in between the body + lens combination, especially that big space where the grip on a bigger camera would be. So the VF-2 essentially adds 0 extra bulk to the camera when packing.

I use my VF-2 with my E-PM1 all the time. The closest thing I have to a picture of the combination though, is my avatar photo. That is the E-PM1 with VF-2 and Jupiter-3, shooting in the mirror. Just to be cliche, because everybody has a photo of themselves shooting in the mirror, lol. xD

6. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks for the reply guys. I really look forward to using it. I pack rather lightly, buy my bag definitely has space to add the viewfinder.

Since I shoot a lot of skateboarding outdoors, I am pretty sure I will get plenty of use out of the EVF. Hopefully it will allow shooting to become a more pleasant experience, (not that it isn't already!).

7. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    One big advantage I've found is that it swivels upwards. Way easier to frame certain shots while looking down. For legacy MF glass, it's indenspensible.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i agree with chicks, one of my favorite "options" with the vf2 is shooting in 90 degrees like an old TLR camera!. i love that, and i think for you, shooting skateboarding that way, will get you some nice new shooting perspective! enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I have one - love it! :cool:

10. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I ordered one from Cameta it is a demo with warranty for $169 so since the price was good I thought"Why not get overnight FedEx?" Well it is in truck somewhere , it sat in Indianapolis for 14 hours and then they thought since they didn't make the time why not just put on a truck all the way to Oregon?
    To say I'm mad is an understatement I was looking forward to using it at the beach tomorrow I called FedEx and got nothing but excuses I called cameta and they will refund the $34 after i get it. A refund is OK but the problem is the unprofessional behavior by FedEx I will never have anything shipped by them again. I am really looking forward to the VF-2 as I use MF legacy lenses 99% of the time and in bright sunlight focusing is a chore.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    PS, consider adding a tether to your VF-2 since it doesn't have a locking mechanism... If you tie thick thread (ie, carpet/upholstery thread, or even double up some weaker thread) around the hinge, the VF-2 will still close and lock in place. That will then allow you to tie that thread to a string or cord which you can then attach (perhaps with one of those little quick-release clips you can grab off a neck lanyard or something) to the neck strap lug of your camera.

There are many other ways to make a tether, but that is the easiest and most low-profile I know of, using materials that anybody can find laying around. I actually carry my VF-2 in a little velvet pouch (Olympus provides those little pouches with various parts like the FL-M1 flash or the VF-2 itself) which is attached to a home-made hand-strap, so that's where I attach my tether to. If I didn't have that carry pouch though, then I would just attach it to the camera lug.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hi Ned, thats a nice tip can you show us some pictures of how its done? also, it would be great to have some tips n tricks thread to show stuff like this or some setting like the one showing the shutter counter and others? dont you think?

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I no longer have the E-PM1, but when I did I used it exclusively with the VF-2 and would not have gone without it. Hope you enjoy yours.

14. Crn3371

Crn3371 Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    I'm a new m43 user and have the VF2 on my Epm1. While it certainly adds to the overall size I wouldn't be without it. Just having the ability to view the menu via the EVF (which means not having to put on reading glasses) makes it worth the price.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes Chris, I think that would be a very useful thread! :) A few things I could think of adding to it would be the EVF tether, the SafetyGrip, making handstraps and wrist straps, thumb rests, secret menus (as you mentioned), general settings, special settings such as back-button AF, etc... The list could go on forever, there is so much to learn in this system from so many knowledgeable enthusiasts!

I will try to get some photos taken of the tether system I use...

I need the thread to prevent interfering with the hinge of the VF-2, but for the main tether line I use an elasticized cord. This keeps it neater out of the way, but still gives me lots of stretch to maneuver it. This can come in very handy at times, like just yesterday morning when I covered a Mother's Day Run using two Minis. I only had one VF-2, between the two, but I was able to keep one Mini around my neck (with a 50mm/1.4 lens) and another Mini hanging from my shoulder (with 135mm/2.8), with the VF-2 tethered to the one camera and still able to be used with both.

The lightness and compactness of the Minis was also an incredible boon when using the two bodies together, as I could even pull up my 50mm camera with my 135mm still in my hand! I could still shoot like that even using manual lenses which require both hands (shooting sports/action), that's how light these cameras are with prime lenses. :biggrin:

16. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I finally got my VF-2 and it looks great!
    It seems to stick on the camera fine I see it does have a pin that fits into the hot shoe and it takes some force to take it off maybe they improved the mounting.

17. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    My VF-2 arrived today. Quite excited to use it over the weekend for some portraits. I can already tell it will make shooting that little bit more pleasant.

18. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I went down to the local camera store here to check out both the VF-2 and the newer VF-3. I knew about the resolution differences, but I was more curious about the no locking mechanism on the VF-2, and whether it was as easy to come loose and fall off as reported. But to my pleasant surprise, when I tested it on the E-PM1, the fit was snug and I couldn't see it coming loose unless it got snagged on something and pulled. The difference in detail between the two (and I tested them side-by-side, one right after the other) was very apparent. I guess I'll be saving a little extra for the older VF-2!

19. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I have had my VF-2 for a week and really like it I rode on a 25 mile bike ride with the camera slung under my arm and had no problem with it falling off. It is hard to take off, maybe the problem is with people who take it on and off all the time loosening the mount. Mine is staying on all the time!!

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I sold my VF2, because there were times when I wanted it on the EPM1 and times when I didn't, and I don't like changing it on/off. However, I miss it badly, especially for my new P100-300. My solution is to get another EPM1, dedicated to the VF2 and longer lenses!