1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Finally! Olympus 7-14

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cdbibay, May 12, 2015.

1. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    I've been wanting a ultra wide really bad and I was this close to ordering the 9-18 (too many bad reviews otherwise I would already have gotten the pan 7-14) then I got this email tonight, I have to say that I'm quite surprised and very happy at the price, preorder has already been competed :) 45559de0759f6cd8ac76e72565a790c8.

2. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

I've had a preorder in with my dealer for a couple of weeks now but the email I received from Olympus shows the price as $1,599.00 here in Canada. Quite a bit more than I was expecting. I'm thinking of cancelling.

3. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Hopefully this is the actual price, this is really the focal length that I'm in love with and for me it's my only choice at this point

4. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    First time I looked at that website was for image samples of the 40-150 Pro. Needless to say, if I had to buy the 40-150 based only on the terrible photos from that site I would have written off Olympus. Not about to make that mistake again and go there looking for image samples on another lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Oh wow thanks for the info @Phocal@Phocal

7. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    The samples I saw had a lot of shots with views that didn't suit the lens very well imho - closeups and whatnot. I'm waiting for some night shots of stars. Very expensive since I will only use it at 7mm for most shots I want. The fish eye samples were awful. Maybe that was the intent - emphasizing distortion

8. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Well 7mm is expected to have distortion, now I'm contemplating trying out the dxo software on my fish, if I'm happy with it I may just stick with that

9. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    Mike
    I have the Pana 8mm fisheye, so I think I'll stick with it...Don't think I'll ever have a need for a faster fish.

I'm on the fence about the 7-14, $1300 is a lotta scratch for this hobbyist. I'd really like to have it, though, so I think I'll wait to see some shots by the folks on this board after it's released.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Mine is on preorder as of this morning. Watch the sales tax if you shop at Olympus. No sales tax or shipping at B&H if you are outside the NYC area.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Nice! End of June huh? Amazon was saying august I would like to take it to a Vancouver wedding in July maybe I should get it from someone other than amazon

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A little higher price than I hoped, but about what I would have expected. Let's hope it is optically on par with the 12-40 and 40-150 (That is to say, essentially perfect!)

13. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Well the 7-14 f4 for the four thirds sells for $1400 I thought the price was quite reasonable

14. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I still think these 2.8 zooms are an outright bargain. A top notch midrange zoom for less than $1000? I find it kind of surprising that Olympus is being so aggressive on pricing while they are bleeding cash. Can't really complain though.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I didn't say unreasonable, just higher than I had hoped! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Are you using the Pana fisheye on an Oly body? I'd kind of like a fisheye. Tried two copies of the Samyang and couldn't get either of them to focus on my E-M5. Might have been user error, but I tried all kinds of focus points at all kinds of apertures and couldn't get focus on distant objects. Indeed, pretty soft. Sort of interested in the Pana. Any gotchas on an Oly body like bad purple flare?

17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Are not all the Samyang fisheye lenses manual focus?

18. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Yes they are, manual f stop too

19. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    That would explain why he could not get it to focus on his EM5, even when using all kinds of focus points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. cdbibay

cdbibay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Oh yes