1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Finally have my 40-150 Pro :)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DL Photo, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I was contemplating between the 70-300, the 35-100 Panny or the 40-150 pro....all great lenses with certain things in common, very specific differences, and each with it's pro's and cons. Visited a number of threads on this board and made my decision to go with the 40-150 Pro.

Well, ordered this refurbished 40-150 Pro lens through the Olympus store last Friday and received it last night. Pretty fast delivery time.

I took a few pic's before sundown but did not have a chance to post....will post some this weekend. At the office writing this so no access to pic's right now.

1. The lens is in perfect condition. Not a blemish. There is the slightest mark on the lens hood but I only found it by searching.

2. The lens is actually smaller and lighter than I expected. I did test it in the store but imagined it to be a little larger....not sure why. Yes, it's larger than other m43 lenses, but that's what I expected for a 2.8 zoom with this range. Built solid like a tank. Very comfortable to hold with my E-M1 and quite a relief after using the 7D and 70-200 2.8 for many years.

3. Absolutely love that retracting lens hood. What a great design.

4. Performance. What can I say?

Sharpness: This is lens is super sharp. Tack sharp...even at the edges and corners....and even wide open. Loved my 70-200 2.8 on my 7D. Don't feel like I'm giving up anything as far as image quality goes with this partnership.

Color and Contrast: A number of lenses are sharp, but there is more to a lens than sharpness. The color and contrast produced by the 40-150 pro are spectacular. Anyone who owns a pro lens for any format will understand what I mean by this.

Focusing: the lens focuses very fast. Will be testing that side a little more this weekend and add a little more later.

I will still hang on to my little 40-150 4.0-5.6 lens for times when I don't want to carry the larger Pro zoom....but don't believe that I will be using the little guy that much anymore.

I HIGHLY recommend this beauty of a lens.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    ha.. I went back to the .ca refurb site 3 times that day procrastinating on whether to buy it. Third time back when I'd finally talked myself into it, it was gone. You probably got my lens :) Nice pick up. glad your happy with it.

3. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Sorry tbut hear that you missed it. Keep your eyes open. There was about a week between the first couple of times that the lens was available. Probably have more soon.

4. undergrd

undergrd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    Congrates on your new toy. Wish I can own one too. :dance3:

5. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Did you get the 25% off? I think Olympus does the 25% off once a year. 20% a few times.

6. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Enjoy the new lens. It was revelatory for me when I recently purchased it. I've been using a good copy of my Sigma 50-150/2.8 on my dSLR for years but the Oly 40-150/2.8 easily outperforms that lens, in both performance and image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Nope. The discount started a few days after I bought the lens.....lens was already sold out when the discount became available.

8. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Keep checking now that the 25% sale is over, I noticed in the fine print the PRO lenses weren't available for the promotion.

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Congratulations, I'm sure you will love. Be on the watch for a sticky mount, I can't seem to get mine off of my camera.

10. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Ouch. Hope you can work it out.

Loving it so far but need a bit of time to get used to the combo and get the most out of it.

11. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Next purchase will be the MC-14.

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    It's actually more like a magnet, I take it off and it seems to go right back on, my others lenses are getting dusty.

13. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    That one went straight over my head

I can see why the lens would stay on the camera.