Finally had luck (deer)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Took me 2 weeks of vacation to finally get lucky on the last day to find a pair of deer that did not run off before I could raise the camera to my eye. The light condition was far from ideal, having the sun backlight from behind the hill the deer was sitting on. And there was a barbed wire fence between me and the deer so I couldn't get in closer. While I manage to be so silent I couldn't hear myself breath it was because I was on the side of the road so no twigs breaking or leaves shuffling but in the end it still wasn't enough, as I was trying to move very slowly to get better composition they eventually got spooked and ran faster then I could ask them to stay a bit longer :p
The AF was struggling in AF-C And AF-S though I got enough if focus to make it good out of the situation. I dropped the shutter speed as low as I could afford but the deer were moving quite a bit and I doubt I could have gotten away with lower than 1/125th, forcing the ISO into the 1600 to 3200 range. Again, at 400mm Equiv. I don't think I would have been able to make the pictures with anything but Electronic Shutter. Without farther ado (the pictures have been edited):

W0lfy - 26869 - Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I - 060919.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5e hole encounter must have lasted about 5 minutes. I’m hoping I can come back here in late October, I’m floating around the idea of renting either a G9 and the 200mm f 2.8 with TC 1.4 or the E-M1 Mark II with 300mm f 4 and the TC 1.4.

Attachments

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lyle
Took me 2 weeks of vacation to finally get lucky on the last day to find a pair of deer that did not run off before I could raise the camera to my eye. The light condition was far from ideal, having the sun backlight from behind the hill the deer was sitting on. And there was a barbed wire fence between me and the deer so I couldn't get in closer. While I manage to be so silent I couldn't hear myself breath it was because I was on the side of the road so no twigs breaking or leaves shuffling but in the end it still wasn't enough, as I was trying to move very slowly to get better composition they eventually got spooked and ran faster then I could ask them to stay a bit longer :p
The AF was struggling in AF-C And AF-S though I got enough if focus to make it good out of the situation. I dropped the shutter speed as low as I could afford but the deer were moving quite a bit and I doubt I could have gotten away with lower than 1/125th, forcing the ISO into the 1600 to 3200 range. Again, at 400mm Equiv. I don't think I would have been able to make the pictures with anything but Electronic Shutter. Without farther ado (the pictures have been edited):

View attachment 773159

View attachment 773160

View attachment 773153

View attachment 773161

View attachment 773162

View attachment 773152

View attachment 773151

View attachment 773157

View attachment 773158

5e hole encounter must have lasted about 5 minutes. I’m hoping I can come back here in late October, I’m floating around the idea of renting either a G9 and the 200mm f 2.8 with TC 1.4 or the E-M1 Mark II with 300mm f 4 and the TC 1.4.
Different than here. What I haven’t been able to get is a photo of my wife, with long stick in hand, out the back door and chasing our local deer off our property and away from her tulips and roses! Maybe one day I’ll be lucky and get a quick snapshot.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I have experience sneaking in on deer. Most times, if you can see deer, don’t move.
These are very good pics, the light was decent too.
Nice and bright, for the forest...
Nice pics in a wild/natural setting. Like them.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Different than here. What I haven’t been able to get is a photo of my wife, with long stick in hand, out the back door and chasing our local deer off our property and away from her tulips and roses! Maybe one day I’ll be lucky and get a quick snapshot.
Hahhahahahaha some people are more lucky then others .... some luck is a hole lot different then other types of luck :p

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I have experience sneaking in on deer. Most times, if you can see deer, don’t move.
These are very good pics, the light was decent too.
Nice and bright, for the forest...
Nice pics in a wild/natural setting. Like them.
Thank you, this was the first time I’ve seen a deer up close, that is under 250 meters. There’s definitely a lot I need to learn about how to handle such situations. One of the most frustrating things that I can’t find a workaround is my two favourite words put together (sarcastically): Private + Woodlands/Land, makes access and composition quite difficult. These 2 weeks were more about scouting locations since these woods are brand new to me, finding deer was more of secondary objective, basically bonus points.
I still consider myself very new and basically a n00bie in wildlife photography. Lots more to learn. Though I would love to go full head on with camp nets and camping in the middle of the woods for wildlife opportunities, patience is something I have in abundance when necessary, my day-job (or more like nigh job since I work only night shifts) leaves me little time to dedicate myself to photography, as well as the traveling limit as I don’t have a drivers license and no car. All in good time though (one day at a time).
I was a bit confused about the light quantity, though it never reflects what we see with what the camera sees, the woods were thin at that spot but it was still enough to filter the light to push ISO where I wouldn’t consider the pictures for my favourite print size (A3). The Panny Leica 200mm f 2.8 would have been quite useful in such situation (compared to Oly 300mm f 4).
That evening I found 2 dead-gorgeous spots to camp for wildlife opportunities in sunset light, it could give pictures worthy if gallery prints, hopefully I can use them in the future.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I used to do this, it was one of the best times in my life.
I had a place where there was fallow deer, very wild.
Only a couple of things worth mentioning,
1. Go slow.
2. Put your cam, on a ball head tripod.
3. If you can see deer, be very still. Movement will give you away.
4. Stay downwind of deer.
5. Be quiet. See the size of those ears!
6. Go slower....
Love your posts man, they’re cool.
NZ Fallow with the kit zoom...

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A good read that also brings a smile :) Nicely done and pleased you got to see and take shots of something you wanted. Always a wonderful feeling.

All the best and well done you.

Danny.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom