1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Finally had a Micro 4/3 image printed large

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Luckypenguin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. In recent times I've been trying to have some larger prints made up and so far these have been from older travel images taken with Canon DSLRs. This has been in equal parts a means to filling up some empty wall space with some memories of our travels, as well as getting some images out of my hard drives where they will be seen more often. We had a space where I wanted a B&W image and I decided it was time to try out a larger print from a Micro 4/3 camera, especially since it's been about 2.5 years since I started using them! To keep with our travel theme the image I chose was taken a few months ago in the formal penal colony of Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia. Somewhat fittingly, it was taken with my longest serving Micro 4/3 camera and lens combination; the Panasonic GH1 and 14-140mm f4-5.8.

This is it on the wall below (30" x 40"). The lighting from the flash and the semi-reflective finish doesn't really do it justice here

IMG_6608-PR_zps5f22e76d.

And the original image below

8100490328_d68e1873eb_b.

• Like Like x 33
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am assuming the rather hairy and unshaven gentleman in the striped prison garb is a resident of the penal colony ...

• Like Like x 11
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome! You didn't say, but I asume you're happy with how the print turned out?

Our local camera shop has a number of prints around that size hung up that were done by the owner's daughter with an Olympus m4/3 camera (not sure which one but it's one of the previous generation models). I have yet to print anything larger than 8x10 or so, but I'm making a point to do more printing this year and hope to get a few larger ones for the house like you've done here :2thumbs:

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've printed 13x19 with results that I am quite happy with. Generally I print 8x10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's a rough place. They don't even allow the inmates to get regular haircuts.

Sorry yes, I am happy with how it turned out, although I likely won't be using the same printer again because after their software didn't work correctly it took over two months of on-line help, emails, etc to get the file uploaded and printed (of course you can't talk to anyone directly over the phone). BTW, this is printed on canvas.

I didn't have too much of a concern about resolution since I have a print the same size made from an edited jpeg taken with my 2005 Canon 350D. Allowing for cropping and wrapping around the edge it would be barely 6MP. I'm a bit concerned about the actual image that I chose on this occasion, since it is hung in the bedroom, is of a former prison that is quite well known for being haunted, and it has that look where you feel that you could just step into it (or something could step out of it) :eek:.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ...just because that photo now hangs in the bedroom is no reason to whip out all the old "ball and chain" jokes with the missus !

• Like Like x 4
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Reminds me of the time my wife and I were joking around (we both have a good sense of humor, thankfully) and I pushed my wedding ring down on my finger with a clang sound and said "it's like a prison door slamming". She thought it was hilarious, so she made me retell the joke to her dad later, who just looked at me and said "... more like the gates of hell" :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Cool. We have been thinking of printing larger than 8" x 10" as well.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My ex used to say the ring fits as easily on the finger as it does in the nose ... I guess I proved otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice work! Too few people print, and especially for large prints. Not much room in the apartment to display anything that sized but I am tempted to do big prints every so often just for the hell of it. I mean we spend hundreds or thousands on photo equipment, why not get a big print done instead of buying a morning coffee (or beer).

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

11. With digital images it is very easy to not print. I mean, it's great that I can easily store, view, catalogue, and edit images on a computer, and that I can jump on any internet capable device around the world and look through my images on flickr, but a print (however big or small) still has the feeling of being the ultimate way to view an image.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, to all your points. Printing makes me feel like a complete photographer.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    For a lot of images, I really enjoy looking at them on a monitor. My desktop background cycles every 2 minutes, randomly selecting a shot from a designated folder. Keeps things fresh.

However, picking a few favorites and printing BIG is something special. I've got 3 large panoramas (over 6 feet wide) printed on dibond, some with acrylic, some without, and that is, for me, the best way to look at large landscapes. Takes me right back to the places the shots were taken.

I don't see the point in getting a photo printer setup, given the exceptional quality prints on various paper types I can get shipped to me (cost per print is not effective), but paying for large prints is definitely worth it. The really big ones cost me more than most of the MFT lenses (together, not each) but I don't regret a single one.

14. Carl Radford

Carl Radford Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Looks like the image held up well - do you use any particular software to to resize it?

15. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    It's wonderful to have a large print, and I should do more... but I'm also tempted to wonder how long will it be, before we can have a wall hanging display like the Panasonic 4k tablet

Cheers

Brian

16. Well, I certainly didn't spend anywhere near as much as that :smile:

17. For these type of prints I just submit my full resolution image as is without any further edits done specifically for printing. When I process my images I tend to increase the overall brightness compared to what might be considered a normal exposure, and this seems to translate well to print because a print doesn't have a backlit monitor screen behind it. I always get larger prints like this done on canvas for a number of reasons. Canvas has a natural texture and prints out with an almost "painterly" look that is noticable when you view it up close. I quite like this effect. Canvasses also don't require a frame which would otherwise add expense and will also add a lot of weight. Depending on the method you are using to hang the print on a wall, this could be an important consideration.

18. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    The largest I've had prints done is 18" x 24". You're giving me the courage to go bigger!

Brian

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Nic,

That is really well done. It's funny this thread came up because I had some canvases done back in the middle of the year(24x36 and 20x30) that I just got to hanging up last weekend. They turned out pretty good, but I wish they were a little more vibrant. I guess the canvas mutes the colors a little bit. I guess B+W solves that because yours looks really good.

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Price out three 200 x 50 (one is actually 210 x 70) prints on dibond with a laminate surface (so a real print, not direct print), and add acrylic to one for good measure. Not cheap, but zero regrets. Bit scary the first time you commit after 'only' making a small test print.

I do always wait for the e-mail with their '30% off' coupon or similar to show up...