1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Finally got to hold the m4/3 cameras

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Went to Best Buy and got to hold the E-PL1 and the GF2.

I was surprised how small they were. They look bigger on the reviews. I have normal sized hands and couldn't believe how tiny they were, especially the GF2.

I have to say I liked the ergonomics and the feel of the Olympus better than the Panasonic. I really like the dial on the top and dislike the menu diving, though I could learn to live with it. The touch screen was ok. The LCD itself looked much better on the Olympus.

The Panasonic seems more responsive, however. The Olympus seemed to hunt just a litte more. I can't imagine what it would do with a moving subject.

The GF2 felt very flimsy to me but I liked how small it was.

I would have liked a thumb dial, bigger then the hard to use one on the Panasonic, on the Olympus.

I really wanted to like the Olympus performance-wise. It just wasn't there in my in-store testing. It just hunted too much and I am thinking I would miss something with this one. Maybe I'm exaggerating it.

Also, something strange on the Olympus. It worked great when I first picked it up. I mean i pressed the shutter button and could see live view and take pictures. Later I picked it backup and pressed the shutter button and nothing would come on screen. I had to keep pressing it until it finally came on. I don't know why. I did not experience this on the GF2.

I loved the small form factor. I wasn't so keen on the performance. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

edit: also the oly seemed to take longer in between shots.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You really owe it to yourself to try the Olympus E-PL2 or even the E-P2. Judging from your criteria of not liking either camera you tried, it sounds like the E-PL2 will solve almost all those issues. The E-PL1 was definitely not Olympus' best product.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My experience was similar, and why I ended up with a GF1.

That said, I x2 the recommendation to try an EPL2

I would also recommend switching the lenses so you can see how much is the body and how much is the lens, to get a better idea of what to expect as you buy more lenses.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wait, the GF2 felt flimsy? what did panasonic do?! I haven't seen a GF2 in best buy around here, but my GF1 feels like a nimble tank

5. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Touchscreen is the worst part of the GF2, aside from the embedded novice instructions hardwired into the UI - i.e., every time you hit play to view a photo, the instructions to pinch the screen to zoom or flick the screen to move to the next photo show for several seconds and there's no way to disable that. It's maddening. And the screen is a resistive LCD, not capacitive - so it requires more physical pressing to activate. Yet the slightest brush agains your clothing is enough to change an active setting unbeknownst.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    really, you can't disable the pop up help? how is this the first I've read about this?

Also, this doesn't quite fit the bill of the GF2 feeling flimsy though. I took that comment by the OP as in physically

7. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Can't speak for the flimsiness; if you read all my other posts, I describe the general build of the GF2 as Apple-Industrial, very much in the tradition of the chromed iPod/iPhone. It's when you get into the use of the Touchscreen and the nasty mess of the menus where things go to pot. I found a way to put the screen to sleep, to minimize inadvertent changes, but the downside is the latency as the camera has to "awaken," which means you could miss the moment. Downcheck in my book.

8. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    That's the way I meant it. It felt flimsy compared to the olympus. Maybe it's because there wasn't something to hold on to like the Oly. I don't know.

9. DuaneO

DuaneO Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2011
    Our Best Buy had them EP1 and GF2 in the Point and Shoot section!! They even had one of the removal lenses attached without a security leash. I asked them why, the sales guy told me they were low cost cameras and they were made for folks who couldn't afford a Canon or a Nikon.

Wow what a sales pitch for M34!! I told the guy how much is the Canon lens they had in the case I pointed to the EF-S 55-250mm... he told around $199. I pointed to the 14-42mm and told him it's around $225 each for that lens. So why is it not locked up too??

Bottom line, the front line for Panasonic and Oly is these guys selling their products and their knowledge and salesmen s ship are just terrible.

BTW they cannot explain the Canon product line well too.

10. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    That's where I found them too, in the point and shoot. The lens came off as well. I didn't ask them why. I gave up on asking in store employees at any store much about anything except maybe in furniture stores. I do my own research...I have to or I get misinformation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This has always been my experience... those who most vehemently tout the Canikon line that "if you want a good camera, just get a Canon or Nikon", or that "professionals use Canon or Nikon" know nothing about the product lines of either brands. At least, not compared with those of us who make our living shooting professionally with OTHER brands. If you're going to praise a product, at least learn that product first to know if it's praiseworthy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    interesting. cause when I picked up the E-PL1, I thought it was a cheap toy compared to my GF1, heh. I was under the impression the GF2 had the same build, and my excitement w/ the G3 following something similar.

But yeah, try the E-PL2 if you can, it's supposed to fix some of the oddities of the E-PL1.