Finally Got the EM1-II - Need Pointers

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
You can also download the manual for the Olympus E-M1X as much of what's in it pertains to the E1 Mark II as well. The E-M1X manual is far more detailed than the E-M1 Mark II manual, imho. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II has 218 pages, and E-M1X has 683 pages (A 4 MB file verses a 28 MB file for E-M1X).

Short of that, the Darrell Young book, "Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II" is good too (but it's still on version 2), and the Olympus E-M1X PDF manual seems to be much like it.

I agree with the above comment on sitting down and trying out various things and practice shooting with them to see if you like them or not.
Good tip on the em1x manual. That's a big difference in page count.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
The E-M1X manual is far more detailed than the E-M1 Mark II manual, imho. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II has 218 pages, and E-M1X has 683 pages (A 4 MB file verses a 28 MB file for E-M1X).
It feels easier to read; perhaps written by a professional camera user rather than a technician.
It is interesting how books grow. Darrell Young's E-M1 book was 528 pages, but the E-M1 Mkii has grown to 625 pages. A lot chunkier on the bookcase.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Learn to use and love the super control panel. All basic settings can. be accessed there without going into the menus.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
- Shoot raw.
If you having any interest in using the Oly Oi,Share app then RAW+JPG is a better choice as the app only displays and downloads to your phone JPG files. While you can convert a particular .orf file in camera to create the .jpg version, it is nice to already have a full set of jpg files to browse on your phone through the app.

When you get back to your computer you can always (depending on what app you use to import your photos) only import the .orf files or download everything then manually select the .jpg files and mass delete them if you have no use for them.

Learn to use and love the super control panel. All basic settings can. be accessed there without going into the menus.
The SCP is one of the greatest Oly updates to their cameras of all time. :laugh:

The second greatest will be when Oly finally allows you to customize the SCP allowing you to remove seldom used settings and adding your own favorites.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
If you having any interest in using the Oly Oi,Share app then RAW+JPG is a better choice as the app only displays and downloads to your phone JPG files. While you can convert a particular .orf file in camera to create the .jpg version, it is nice to already have a full set of jpg files to browse on your phone through the app.

When you get back to your computer you can always (depending on what app you use to import your photos) only import the .orf files or download everything then manually select the .jpg files and mass delete them if you have no use for them.
Not true any longer. The E-M1 Mark II with FW3.0/3.1 allows download of RAW files with Oi.Share. And there’s always 3rd party apps like Cascable too.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not true any longer. The E-M1 Mark II with FW3.0/3.1 allows download of RAW files with Oi.Share. And there’s always 3rd party apps like Cascable too.
I didn't know that. But is it dependent on the camera FW rather than just having Oi.Share be able to see and grab them?

Next question, if you download the .orf files with Oi.Share, does it have the option to export JPG versions? Since the main interest in grabbing files off your camera is typically to have them available to other phone apps which I assume will not be able to use the .orf files. Other than backing up your phone, downloading the .orf files isn't very useful if you can not covert them.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
I didn't know that. But is it dependent on the camera FW rather than just having Oi.Share be able to see and grab them?
I don’t know why it would be so but apparently it is FW dependant.
Next question, if you download the .orf files with Oi.Share, does it have the option to export JPG versions? Since the main interest in grabbing files off your camera is typically to have them available to other phone apps which I assume will not be able to use the .orf files. Other than backing up your phone, downloading the .orf files isn't very useful if you can not covert them.
Depends on your phone to an extent I suppose. On my iPhone 6 I can view RAW files in Oi.Share, then import them (as RAW/.ORF files) to the native photos app or even share then direct to LR Mobile (which also copies them to the native Photos app due to current iOS limitations). When I next open LR (cloudy version or classic) on my laptop the RAW/.ORF files start to sync back to my hard drive.

Bloody clever really!

For $11, you can get the video "Fast Start" at Creative Live
Good advice. John Greengo does a good job of outlining and in most cases demonstrating all of the menu items, as well as showing you what all the dials, bells and whistles are all about. The course is fully downloadable and yours for life once you buy it. Admittedly it is based on the original FW, but its an inexpensive start.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Anti-shock shutter release (diamond symbol) set to on.
I would disagree and say use the mostly silent electronic shutter (heart symbol).
While I use the former, the latter has its uses too, but not necessarily something for full time normal use, especially under mains powered lighting. That is where Anti-Flicker can be used though with normal or ant-shock shutter.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I have always used this on my E-P5. It's interesting that it is unchecked by default on the E-M1 II. I'll be reading up on this.
The shutter mechanism has a damped mounting & is noticeably quieter because of it & therefore less likely to cause 'shutter shock' but I continue to use Anti-shock 0-sec (usually Sequential S-AF) anyhow.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom