1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Finally, got an UWA lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Oct 17, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    for micro 4/3. after weeks/months of deliberating between 9-18, 7-14 and 12... i decided to jump into the fire for the 7-14. 'twas a difficult decision.

7-14 at 7mm, F/11, .5sec, ISO200:
    [​IMG]

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Enjoy and use it well - you're off to a fine start!

I love these lenses. I went with the 9-18, but I wouldn't be without a UWA in my kit.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Dave... Congrats on your new lens! I'm sure you're going to appreciate having it's capabilities in some circumstances.

The UWA is an awesome choice for creating dramatic images. As with Ray, I wouldn't want to be without one.

Like you, I went with the 7-14, specifically for the enhanced ability to create dramatic perspective and for shooting in very tight spaces. The extra 2mm yields a significant difference in FOV and drama. It was necessary for this image:

P1000259.

Needed UWA for this image as well:

P1000219.

For more general use, however, I would use the 9-18. I see good utility in having both lenses, funds allowing, as they each have distinctly different capabilities and applications.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Drat! You would have to post these! I have a number of micro four-thirds lenses... but no ultra-wides. I really can't justify going over $500 for a lens as long as I have my Pentax DSLR gear, which includes the Pentax DA 12-24. But either the 7-14 or the 9-18 would be a sweet addition to my mirrorless kit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan

Good decision!

6205006989_b8a1929f55_b.
    20111002 037a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  6. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Congrats! I'm paralyzed by my indecision in choosing among these three lenses. Your first effort looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    went through the same process... it took literally several weeks to decide on this. for sure this forum has helped a lot including draining my wallet lol. cheers! :biggrin:

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    certainly you (and Ray making it doubly hard for me to go for the 7-14 LOL!) had influenced in my decision, reading your previous posts. :thumbup:

one thing that swayed me to go for the 7-14 is indeed the extra 2mm at the wide end. my experience before with nikon, i had a 14-24 but eventually sold it, and settled for the more flexible range of 17-35. the 14-24 was impractical in it's size and weight that caused me to let go. now with the 17-35, i kinda miss the wide end, hence i've chosen the 7-14...

my travel combo will be as follows:

G3, 7-14, 20 -- to cover the wide end. and the 20mm serves as all purpose, indeed one of the most loved focal length.

pair with...

D700, 24 1.4, 85 1.4 -- for lowlight, shallow DOFs, etc... i like how the 24 1.4 renders wide open, it will go with me as the least used lens of the set, just bringing it along to add excitement.

i think with the combo above, it's good enough?

cheers.

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Dave... the 7-14 will indeed give you maximum UWA capability.

You've got some nice glass in the Nikon kit, indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  10. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice images. I miss having a wide-angle since I had a 15mm on my Leica M6. I really like that perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Don.. what is that ICOM sitting there? is that a 2M/DualBander handheld? or a Scanner? just curious.. Doug.. N7JGN

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    it's sometimes a challenging focal length to begin with... here's another try:
    [​IMG]

:biggrin: