Finally Done with M43 lens GAS....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D7k1, Jul 29, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I bought all my Nikon stuff in a very short time, and today I completed my m43 lens kit that I personally need. My final purchase was to buy a used Oly 9-18mm to replace my Nikkor 12-24 DX as my "Normal" lens. My normal lens for video is the 12-35mm, but for walk -a-round stills on either my Gx8 or EP5 this is the perfect lens for my style of shooting. I have quite a few m43 lenses now and can say that I like each and everyone of them. I did a test shoot with the lens today and created a set of parameters in LR/Bridge that seen to make this lens shine for what I need.

My travel kit will now be either this lens and the 35-100 f4/5.6 (don't use this focal length much so no need for the 2.8) or 75-300 II, depending on what I am doing. My video stuff will mainly be done with the 7.5/12-35/100-400. While the Sigma 30 and the Pany 14 (w/wo GWC1) is my stealth kit for the EP5. Don't know why but I can't seem to bring myself to sell the two Oly Kit lenses, but they are not seeing much use, but could come in handy for selling a camera like the EP5 on Craigs list. Don't shoot macro like I once did but I have Canon 500D for the longer zooms and PL 100-400 is very good for big insects as is.

For me I've found a good mix of glass and can only say that I am very happy with M43 and am very glad I made the change. I'm not of a prime shooter and picked up the 14 & 30 when the EP5 was my point and shoot and I wanted something better than the kit lenses, but I've got good copies of both and for what they sale for used, well they are still great lenses when I want to shoot small on the EP5.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"Done" "Happy"

I've heard that before......

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    "Finally Done with M43 lens GAS...." good luck with that!

I am very happy with m4/3s as well, my Nikon gear sits unused so far this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Heard it before, said it before. And I meant it when I said it. I'm actually pretty sure I don't have a single item from when I said it last time. Though I am sure I've repurchase at least three things I had at the time.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Nearly done :2thumbs: my D7200 and lenses went yesterday,still have the V2 and P900 which ime keeping,got the 12-35 and 100-400 in m4/3,at the moment i have the 45-175 and may keep it as i dont use that much between 35 and 100 and its a cheap lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I became happy with m43 when I stopped trying to achieve the lots of bokeh, and just appreciate the good things about m43, for me: size/portability, fast & silent focus, customisation of buttons, weather resistance with EM5mk2+12-35, and wide aperture for low light photos.

To be honest, I was able to give up on bokeh because I now use full frame for when I want the "pretty" photos.
    It was very helpful being able to differentiate between the two systems.

But now I'm off to Europe for 5 weeks and can't decide whether to take m43 or full frame... gah.
  7. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    For what I can tell you my last two vacations I left all my full frame kits (at the time Sony A7RII + lenses and Nikon D750+ lenses) at home and just travelled with m43. IT was just such a relief to have a light and inexpensive gear during traveling, the feeling is unbelievable after so long traveling. GX7 basically was perfect and did everything for me. The lenses I've used (and I am sure it is even more true for Europe with narrow streets) the most were
    7-14 - a must - most of my shots
    12-35 - number 2
    45 1.7 - number 3
    100-300 - used twice.

But all of these will fit into a small bag. I came home and sold Sony A7RII and FE lenses. my Nikon D750 + m43 setup appears to be a good kit. Now I just need to add either GX8 or EM1-2 when it comes out. Want 20MP sensor.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, maybe his best chance is to close his account here!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    It's funny, I can't see where he posted a complete list of all the m4/3 lenses by ever manufacturer...

Therefore can't be finished with his GAS... :laugh1:
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    You I think the only place I have my gear listed is over on DPReview in the user gear section. They have a handy section for Own / Owned / Wishlist. It's actually a handy tool to keep track of things. And when you see it all together, kind of scary as well. :eek:

DavidZvi: Gear list: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review