Finally a Micro Four Thirds User - Sort of

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Prototype, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Prototype

Prototype Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Brian
    This isn't quite how I expected to jump into Micro Four Thirds, but I've recently bought an Olympus E-PM1 and the body cap lens. From my days of lurking, I see that there is a lot of talent in this forum in addition to great conversation. I'm looking forward to finally being part of this community.

I started my serious photography in the digital age and have been using Sigma DP cameras for five years. I've tried others, but these fixed prime lens compacts are the only ones I've really connected with. My DP2 Merrill will still be my primary camera, but I can't wait to use my half-serious compact, especially since it is pocketable! Here is some of my previous work:

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Welcome to the "semi-serious" camera forum. Some of the members here demonstrate that these cameras are totally serious.

3. Prototype

Prototype Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Brian
    Thanks Chris!

Also, I wasn't referring to Micro Four Thirds as "half-serious." I think the E-M5 and the GX7 would prove me wrong. I was referring to my first-generation Pen Mini with body cap lens! :tongue:

4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I did not take offense and was not quite sure what you meant. I was just having some fun.

What I should have added is that I like the composition of the photos you posted. Very nice framing and interesting shots.

The Pen mini can produce excellent shots too. You will enjoy it. Probably will have to ditch the cap lens and move up at least to the 14mm to really start showing it off.

5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Hey, welcome!

I think your new EPM1 and BCL will be a wicked fun kit. I like the 15mm BCL. I put it on my camera and it's almost exactly like shooting with my iPhone, in terms of focal length, depth of field, and quality, but with all the manual controls I've always wanted for my iPhone. The EPM1 is like the perfect body for it. Fun stuff, if you ask me.

See you around.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome to the forum. The E-PM1 with the body cap lens is like a digital Brownie except that it's much better:smile:

7. Prototype

Prototype Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Brian
    That lens is certainly on my wishlist, but it will be paired with my future GX7. I'd also like to get the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 and some "speed boosted" SLR lenses.

I considered just using my phone as my "pocketable" camera, but the main reasons I chose the Micro 4/3 combo are:
    1) RAW editing
    2) Shoe mount for optical viewfinder
    3) Dynamic range

My smartphone can get sharper images, but the above are more important. In poor light, it is much easier to stabilize a camera than a smartphone due to the phone's shape and thickness.

Thanks drd1135! It's nice to see a familiar user from the other forum.

8. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Love your work, you have quite the eye. Welcome..

9. Prototype

Prototype Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Brian
    Thanks Brent! I've received the 15mm BCL - my first ever lens (that's not permanently attached). This thing makes me smile. I love the cover/focusing mechanism. With the lens and 28mm OVF in my hand, now it's the agonizing wait for the camera.

10. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    x2

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sounds like a fun, minimalist kit. I second the 14mm suggestion, it's a terrific lens. I recently jumped in like you, stirred a bit before I settled, and now have a GX1 with the 14mm. Couldn't be happier with the combo.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What does half serious even mean? :confused:

BTW welcome to the forum and glad you're no longer a lurker. Nice shots too.

13. Prototype

Prototype Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Brian
    Well, if I bought a D800, I would be full-serious; a Hasselblad, medium-serious… just kidding. It's a play on Amin's site, Serious Compacts. Since I don't have a proper lens yet, the camera is only a Half-Serious Compact. I appreciate the welcome, everyone!

14. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Brian,

Seriously... Welcome!

Thanks for sharing some of your pix. Keep 'em coming!

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Brian,

Welcome aboard!

Seriously!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

16. Prototype

Prototype Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Brian
    9529401545_d3ea6bc7d9.

It's here! First thoughts:

It's smaller than I imagined and it really does fit in my pocket with the BCL attached. I was surprised at the weight, until I put the big battery in. I don't think I'll be picking up a spare, as I don't take very many photos per outing.

The optical viewfinder fits loosely on the hotshoe, but placing a piece of paper between them solves the issue. The OVF I'm using has 28mm 3:2 framelines, but since I'll be placing subject closer to the center of the frame (where sharpness is greater on the BCL), I doubt it will be much of a problem.

The shutter is loud. Louder than any camera I've owned. Why is this? I'm not a street shooter so I actually find the noise very satisfying.

The menu system is terrible.

I'm already thinking about my next lens, but I think I will also upgrade the body when it's time for my first proper lens. Right now, a used OM-D E-M5 with the 45 f/1.8 is what I'm leaning towards.

Overall, I'm very happy. I can't believe one can get a large-sensor compact for so cheap today.​

17. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Welcome aboard. I'm new here and love it!
    Todd.

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Get the 14mm. Don't wait.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The 14 is good and the 17 2.8 is also perfectly fine. The menu system is deliberately complicated to keep out the riffraff :tongue:

20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group, Brian. Great work, thanks for sharing.